Friday, January 02, 2009
Some New Year Goals and OUCH!
The big ouch is because I have shin splints. I have been running for years and very consistently since JH was born...I recently "walked" my same running route(about 4 miles) 2 times this week and I am sore in all these strange places and have shin splints! I am a weakling, I guess. I realize that walking and running uses different muscles, but I never thought I would be sore from walking! It must be all the hills and the angles when I walk. Hmmm...that brings me to my latest fitness decision. All of this running has been great and I love it, but I am going to be really kind to my joints and take a break for a while. I have decided to walk for a couple of weeks instead of run...that is because I was thinking that walking would be a break....but, now I am thinking that walking is actually harder on my body! Maybe it will just take some getting used to. I am not going to stop running, though. I will probably begin running again later this month. We will see.
I hope everyone has had a wonderful Christmas. We certainly did. We scaled back on the gifts and tried to make it a more meaningful and Christ centered time. I also enjoyed getting to see family members that we usually do not get to see! It has been a good Christmas! God has blessed us so much!
Now that 2009 is here, I am once again challenged to see ways in my own heart where I need God's grace to help change me and mold me to be more like Him. It is a constant growth process, isn't it? I know that I don't measure up to what I should be...but, His grace and mercy have been so rich in my life lately, I can only say thank you. It is so comforting to know that He has forgiven me...the wretched sinner that I am. It is so wonderful to know that His Word is TRUTH and it NEVER changes! It is so incredible that God is the Holy One and His Son, Jesus Christ, has paid for my debt of sin that I could never repay. With understanding all of this, I see ways that the Lord needs to stretch me and grow me. I am not making any new years resolutions...but instead I am thinking on my desire to be more Christ like and what that would involve. There are things I just want to do better.
Here they are:
I hope everyone has had a wonderful Christmas. We certainly did. We scaled back on the gifts and tried to make it a more meaningful and Christ centered time. I also enjoyed getting to see family members that we usually do not get to see! It has been a good Christmas! God has blessed us so much!
Now that 2009 is here, I am once again challenged to see ways in my own heart where I need God's grace to help change me and mold me to be more like Him. It is a constant growth process, isn't it? I know that I don't measure up to what I should be...but, His grace and mercy have been so rich in my life lately, I can only say thank you. It is so comforting to know that He has forgiven me...the wretched sinner that I am. It is so wonderful to know that His Word is TRUTH and it NEVER changes! It is so incredible that God is the Holy One and His Son, Jesus Christ, has paid for my debt of sin that I could never repay. With understanding all of this, I see ways that the Lord needs to stretch me and grow me. I am not making any new years resolutions...but instead I am thinking on my desire to be more Christ like and what that would involve. There are things I just want to do better.
Here they are:
1) To be more friendly...I know I need to work on this...just to be a friend to others and show others that I care. I tend to be reserved and introverted at times...
2) To show more hospitality and not get stressed over it. I get too caught up in the details and pride keeps me from doing it more often. Pride that says my meal won't be good enough...my house won't be clean enough, etc. It all reflects back on me and what people think about ME! So silly(and sinful)! Also, it is hard work to get your house all ready and plan a nice meal...so I guess laziness comes into play, too.
3) To be more diligent with my quiet time.
4) To have a cheerful home...this has all to do with me and the kind of home I make it.
5) To be more consistent and creative with my discipline approaches.
6) To serve with a joyful spirit...in my home and everywhere!
7) To love others in a real and meaningful way...to be a doer and not just a hearer. To stop what I am doing to offer a listening ear or a comforting word.
8) To pray for others more...when my heart becomes full of compassion for what others are going through, I need to stop and pray for them...not just have compassion. Compassion is good, but it should lead me to praying for others.
9) To spend more time showing my husband that I love him...that is why I will be participating in this later this month.
10) To think of others before myself. Lately, I have been feeling very selfish...I'm aware of it and hate it, but I struggle with this. It is such an ugly thing when what is in the heart comes out! (and it will!) God help my heart be more like Yours!


I am a stay at home mother to 4. I am very blessed to have a godly husband who loves the Lord and his family. I welcome the days of much needed grace,the times of sweet victories,and the tears of trials,knowing it is all for God's glory. I want my lifesong to sing to Him,the author and finisher of my faith. Soli Deo Gloria--To the Glory of God alone.









9 Comments:
You have really convicted me through this post. I see you as such a wonderfully friendly, caring, hospitable person and yet you are desiring to improve on these points! I appreciate your honesty and transparency as you blog!
This is a great list of things to be mindful of and improve upon in the new year, but I have to tell you that you see yourself very differently than others see you. I already see you as a friendly, caring, outgoing person who serves with joy! Thank you for encouraging us to continually seek to improve and be more Christ-like.
OUCH is right! Shin splints are no picnic. I hope they heal quickly.
I am working on hospitality and being more cheerful this year, too. Thanks for sharing your heart's desires for 2009.
What a good list. It's always good to think through and search our heart for things to change or do better. I'm being convicted of getting up earlier for more quiet time with the Lord.
I could have written most of this list for myself. May God bless us all as we seek to grow in the coming year.
So interesting, Kim... that's almost my exact same list! It was so heartening to see someone else who is working on some of the same things. I haven't gotten around to posting about it yet, so I may just copy and paste yours, LOL. Thank you so much for sharing your heart on this.
Thanks for your transparency, Kim. I read your blog regularly but don't always comment :) Thanks for the link to the love dare challenge; I started it this week and passed it along to my church small group.
On a different note - - I would LOVE to know how you juggle being a Mom and getting to workout as often as you do?! I have a 14 month old and I work outside the home and just haven't been able to figure out how I can do everything I need to do and yet workout (which is something I actually love to do). Any advice?
Great list. My resolutions all revolve around being more diligent. In my quiet time, in prayer, with exercise, etc.
That 40-day-challenge is a wonderful idea. So cute that it on Valentine's Day. I clicked over and realized that I've already blown day 1 (January 5). I guess I can start tomorrow and double up on a couple of days. :)
This is a GREAT list of goals, Kim. Many of the same things God is working on in my heart, too.
Post a Comment
<< Home