Wednesday, April 11, 2007
About Our China Adoption

Questions and Answers

Many of you have asked about adopting from China. Here are some answers to help explain the hows and whys of adopting from China.

Why are you adopting from China?

As a couple, we have always considered adoption as a way to grow our family. We have discussed it many times over the years. We always concluded with it is too hard and way too expensive. We have been interested in China for many years because of the thousands of orphaned baby girls there due to the one child policy. Plus, we really love and respect the Chinese culture. Over the years we have read books and articles on the abandoned baby girls of China. Our hearts have ached for them and now is the time to actually do something about it! We have wanted more children over the years and because Kim has such hard pregnancies (sick!) we knew adoption was something we were interested in. This desire has grown over the years as a culmination of all these things. We feel God has given us this desire for another child and a heart, specifically, for the orphaned child. James 1:27 has had a big impact on us...because we feel strongly that believing families should be involved in caring for orphans. This verse says: "This is pure and undefiled religion in the sight of our God and father, to visit orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world."


Why are there so many girls in the orphanages?

Due to China trying to control its population, the government set up a one child policy many years ago. There are incentives involved if the families will follow this policy. There are fines and punishment if they do not. Culture dictates that the girls marry and leave their families, so the boys take care of their aging parents. Society puts a lot of pressure on the women to have boys. Women feel like they have no choice but to abandon their baby girls in a public place so they will be found. Sometimes their families force them to do this. Most of these mothers love their babies and it is heart wrenching for them to do this. We feel very sad for the birth mothers. They know the orphanages will take care of their babies and they hope their baby will soon be adopted.


What age child will you receive?

We have asked for a baby between 7-14 months old or as young as possible. We are also requesting twins, although this is very rare since we already have bioligical children. We qualify for a baby up to 24 months old. It takes 6 months to declare a baby legally abandoned in China, so the baby will be older than 6 months. Typically they are around 1 year old.


When will you go to China to receive your baby?

After finishing the long list of collecting documents(dossier), we sent our paperwork to our agency and they sent it on to China. We were then given a log in date from China. Our log in date is September 20,2006. This is the beginning of our wait. The wait is longer right now, so it looks like it could be a year or so(or longer) before we receive our referral. The Chinese government matching room will match us to a baby. We will then be sent her picture and any information they know about her. Part or all of our family will travel 6-8 weeks after we accept the referral. It is looking like all of us are going as of now.


How will you explain to her about the adoption?

We will always express how special God's plan for her life is-that she was wanted by us even though we already had children. We will explain to her that her birthmother loved her and wanted her to have a family. We always want her to know that God cared for and loved her even when she was alone in the orphanage. He orchestrated this whole situation to bring her to us! What a blessing!!!! We also have a wonderful book called When You Were Born in China that so beautifully explains the situation in China and how it came about for her to be adopted. I can't wait to read it to her.


We are very blessed to be on this journey to adopting from China!!! We can not wait to see our little Lydia's face! It is a bittersweet feeling for us, though...the situation in China makes things so hard for families and giving up a baby must be heart wrenching to say the least...it is a sad way for us to gain a blessing. We are in prayer for the situation in China and for the birthmothers going through such agony.

posted at 9:31 AM
Comments (17)



17 Comments:
At 12:11 PM, Blogger Me said...

Kim,
Thank you for bringing us along during your adoption process. It is such a beautiful event to witness! I will be praying for your family during this time, as well as Lydia and her birth mother.

 
At 1:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your heart! I, for one, am looking forward to reading all about your trip to China to bring Lydia home.

 
At 2:31 PM, Blogger Amber Smith said...

Kim,
I have been reading your blog for quite some time now. A friend directed me to your blog. Would you mind sending me your e-mail address? ambsmith79@yahoo.com

Amber Smith

 
At 2:44 PM, Blogger Praise and Coffee said...

Kim,
This has been the most incredible experience of our lives. God has a special plan for Lydia's life and He knows exactly which little girl is to become your little Lydia!

Jer 29:11
11 For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
NIV

 
At 3:16 PM, Blogger Laura said...

I am enjoying taking this journey with you. Thank you for sharing it and I can't wait to "meet" your daughter.

Laura

 
At 3:27 PM, Blogger Jill said...

Adoption is such a wonderful journey and will grow you in all sorts of ways. We look forward to seeing Lydia's beautiful face.

 
At 3:38 PM, Blogger Pam said...

Kim, my mind has been on adoption all day long, and I come here only to find that was where your mind and heart were focused as well.

Thank you for publishing so eloquently the process and your hearts throughout it.

What a treat twins would be for all of you, but I know God will bring just the right girl/girls your way in His timing. May God be blessing that birthmother right now with the assurance that her baby will be placed in a wonderful home like yours.

 
At 4:13 PM, Blogger PandaMom said...

You already know that this is THE way God chose to bless us with a child. I cannot imagine our life without our PandaGirl. We are the ones who are blessed. We do know that God has had a plan for her and us before we even knew about it. All these girls are sisters in a sense. It is amazing to watch them "take" to each other immediately when they meet. It is precious and unexplainable. Can't wait to watch your journey unfold. LOVE the Shaoey and Dot books, by the way! Do you have the Christmas one, too?!

 
At 4:21 PM, Blogger Chris @ Come to the Table said...

I love hearing of your heart for adopting. Thank you for sharing your journey with us.

 
At 5:05 PM, Blogger Jada said...

I have read about this and it breaks your heart.Thank God for your family for doing this.

 
At 8:09 PM, Blogger Middle-Aged Moi said...

I love the answers to your questions, and they are very similar to ours. It truly is a different experience than having biological children, but also a veeeerrrry special one. God also adopts us as His children, and I think that makes adoption very special.

 
At 8:34 PM, Blogger Cyndi said...

Oh, Kim I just loved reading this! Thank you so, so much for sharing your story. I needed to read this today. :)

 
At 12:15 AM, Blogger Kelly said...

Lydia has remained in my prayers--and your family as you prepare to bring her home!

 
At 2:33 PM, Blogger Kim said...

You answered so many wonderful questions. Some of them I had myself! I can't believe how long the process is. I know your entire family is so very ready to hold sweet Lydia. How exciting the day will be when you see her face for the first time!

 
At 5:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kim, I am so excited!! : ) It is such a blessing. We are more in love with Katie Mei each day. I will be praying for Lydia's birth momma. To me, that has been one of the hardest things for me. My hope is that somewhere in the quiet of her heart, she knows that her sweet daughter is loved beyond belief.

 
At 8:48 AM, Blogger Terri | Sugar Free Glow said...

It is bittersweet, isn't it? There is always pain involved in adoption.

I'm so excited for Miss Lydia and for your family. I pray you get twins! How fun!

Praying that the wait shortens, the babies are loved and cared for and that our birthmothers and birthfathers come to know Christ.

 
At 10:12 PM, Blogger theups said...

OOOH!! I am praying BIG TIME that CCAA speeds things up!! Y'all are LID almost a year after us (we were LID 9-12-05) and finally got our referral 1-4-07 and got Elizabeth on 2-25-07. So maybe y'all will be hearing something in January!!!

We got to visit Elizabeth's orphanage and saw SOOO many babies there- and that was just ONE orphanage! I have NO idea why CCAA isn't working faster than they are!!! We are already talking about adopting #2 and figure that the wait will be up to 3 years by the time we can start our dossier again!!!

I am praying!

His,
Mrs. U

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me

I am a stay at home mother to 4. I am very blessed to have a godly husband who loves the Lord and his family. I welcome the days of much needed grace,the times of sweet victories,and the tears of trials,knowing it is all for God's glory. I want my lifesong to sing to Him,the author and finisher of my faith. Soli Deo Gloria--To the Glory of God alone.

My Complete Profile
Email Me Here



Adoption Information
Adoption video: Please watch "Bring Me Hope" Video found on this link:
Bring Me Hope Video

You Can Also Find Us Here:
Bringing Home Lydia
Sugar Pie Honey Bunch
Go The Distance

Miles in 2009
Run-550.5
Walk-105.5 miles

Miles in 2008
Run-643.5 miles
Walk-106 miles
Bike-28 miles
Daily Bible Verse

Recommended Reading
  • Pray For The Chapmans
  • In Memory Of Maria
  • Mary Beth Chapman
  • Amy Wilhoite's Love for a Faithful God and Her Amazing Testimony of God's Goodness. You must read!
  • Amy's Humble Musings
  • A Spacious Place
  • Al Mohler
  • Beauty From The Heart
  • Between Two Worlds
  • Bring The Rain
  • Challies
  • Deo Volente
  • Desiring God Blog
  • Fat Free Vegan Kitchen
  • Forthright Fixation
  • Girl Talk
  • Grace Notes
  • Happy Herbivore
  • I Am Chief
  • Irish Calvinist
  • Jillian,Inc
  • Josh Harris
  • Hope Road
  • Light Came
  • Lisa Writes
  • Mercy Days
  • Musings of the Dings
  • Of First Importance
  • Passionate Homemaking
  • Practicing Theology
  • Preschoolers and Peace
  • Pulpit Magazine
  • Purple Cellar
  • Radical Womanhood
  • Rebecca Writes
  • The Rebelution
  • Reflections
  • Renewing Our Minds
  • Seasonings of the Heart
  • Showered With Grace
  • Titus 2 Talk
  • Together For The Gospel
  • The Upward Call
  • Worship Matters
  • Friends

    Homeschooling Resources

    Good Stuff

    Previous Posts

    Search


    AddThis Feed Button

    Books I Am Reading Now


    Archives

    Credits
    Blog Design by:


    Powered by:


    Meter:

    Miscellaneous