Tuesday, October 16, 2007
What Is Tue About God
I have been reading back through Elyse Fitzpatrick's book *Overcoming Fear, Worry, and Anxiety*...Have you read this book? It is so helpful and Biblically focused. She shares God's Truth and comfort for anyone going through difficult times...whether through our own sinful fear and worries or through trials and sufferings. This little list from her book expresses what is true about God and it really helps me focus on God's attributes and not fathom up my own ideas on who God is. Also, it helps me know how to pray. I hope it will encourage you today.


God is perfectly wise. This means that he always knows what is best. Romans 16:27

God is completely holy. His holiness controls all His actions so hat He never acts in way that is unholy, unwise, or unloving. Isaiah 6:3, Revelation 4:8

God is utterly loving. His love always constrains and guides Him to give us what we truly need. 1 John 4:8,16

God is infinitely merciful. His mercy flows out to all of His creation at all times in that He never gives any of us what we really deserve. Exodus 34:6-7


This list is also from her book.
The Bible speaks to the reasons and goals for our suffering:

God permits troubles so that we'll experience His comfort and learn to comfort others and trust Him and not ourselves. 2 Corinthians 1:3-10

God permits tribulation so that we can grow in hope. Romans 5:3-5

God permits trials so that we will grow in holiness. Hebrews 12:10-11

Troubles are the seed-bed where faith grows. 1 Peter 1:7

Experiencing God's help through our trials strengthens us. James 1:3-4

God wants our character to reflect Christ's. Romans 8:28-29

Troubles humble us and cause us to run to Jesus. 1 Peter 5:5-7

Our suffering produces God focused rejoicing. 1 Peter 4:13


When I read through this and meditate on these scriptures, I know what the right thing to do is...to bow the knee and worship and praise God for all that He is. Still in our own depraved humanity, we question God and fear the unknowns. We want our sufferings to cease and life to be comfortable. But resting in God's sovereignty is where we all need to be today. God is all wise, perfectly holy, utterly loving, and forever merciful. Yes, this is true.

posted at 6:41 AM
Comments (16)



16 Comments:
At 8:38 AM, Blogger Mindy said...

THANK you for this!
I may have to try and find this book.
I appreciate you sharing this with all of us.
I know I needed it!

 
At 9:35 AM, Blogger Borbe Bunch said...

Thank you Kim for sharing what you are learning....when trials come, I have learned that it is in that moment that our TRUE heart shows, what we worship and WHO we trust in...in the midst of hard times, GOD never leaves, He continually controls everything, we just need to REST in His goodness and KNOW that He grows us, our faith, our dependence on HIM...thank you again, we serve a God worthy of our complete devotion!
Liz

 
At 10:21 AM, Blogger Jill said...

kim this is so relevent for our family right now. My niece is in the hospital for extreme anxiety.

I think as women it is our nature to want to fix, or at least have it all figured out and the reality is we can not. I know I have struggled with this in the past and continue to from time to time. Thank you for your honest post on where we can find hope and peace.

 
At 11:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post Kim! Very relevant to what I am going through too, thanks for sharing! It sounds like a great book, but I haven't read it...I need to put it on the list! I am doing pretty well...still grieving, but not as one who has no hope!(1Thess 4:13) Thank you for asking!

Katie

 
At 1:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kim ~

Just wanted to send you a little encouragement...

I have found that one way God uses suffering and trials in my own life is to surface my unbelief. I usually try to journal (it helps to keep my mind from wandering!) I answer the questions "What am I believing to be true about God in this trial/suffering?" and "What am I believing to be true about me in this trial/suffering?" There are always lies that surface. I sometimes think the hardest part of trials or sufferings is battling our thought life! I have battled anxiety off and on for years. It tends to come in seasons. When I'm struggling I just need to know His Truth. Once the lie is exposed, I can meditate on His Word to battle that specific lie. There is such sense of relief and peace and joy - when I see God AS HE IS and know Him in a new way - a reason to "rejoice in my sufferings."

I also wanted to mention that I really, really don't like suffering (I don't think anyone does...) But, I tend to entertain what-ifs. I can get overwhelmed by what-ifs. Yet, I know "His grace IS sufficient" - when I truly find peace it's when I remember that His grace is given only moment by moment. If the what-ifs were to happen, only then would He give me the measure of grace I need for that trial. We see people who endure extreme trials and sufferings and wonder how they do it - that's "the peace that passes all understanding". We can't understand because He hasn't given us His grace for that situation. It's His gift to them!

I love Psalm 91. I have read it many, many, MANY times. It's great encouragement to me. In fact, my Bible opens right to that page - truly weathered pages!

Kim, I have really enjoyed reading your blog and getting to "know" your family over the past year - we are kindred spirits, in so many ways :). This is the first time I have commented - I wanted you to know I am praying that you will feel like yourself again soon and that you will be greatly blessed by this trial!

Chris

(if you would like to email me, I could share more specifically - jamroziks@sbcglobal.net)

 
At 3:08 PM, Blogger Connie said...

Great recommendation! I have read/will read just about anything Elyse F. authors or contributes to!! She is also an excellent speaker if you ever get to hear her.

I attended her pre-conf. session and a workshop last year at the NANC conf. and really enjoyed it. Unfortunately I didn't get to hear her any at this year's NANC conf.--so many workshops, so little time!!

 
At 3:21 PM, Blogger Cyndi said...

I have not read this book, but I posted about fear today, too. I did print out some scriptures/things that are true about God and taped it into the back cover of my travel Bible on my most recent trip to China. It really helped during moments of anxiety to not only have God's Word in hand, but a ready list of His unchanging attributes and goodness to read and pray through.

Great post!

 
At 8:26 PM, Blogger Kim said...

Chris,

Psalm 91 is wonderful, thanks for pointing me to it....I have been reading in Psalms lately, but I have not read that yet. It is so encouraging! Thank you!

 
At 9:22 PM, Blogger Sheri said...

Thank you for this post -- it's another one I'm printing out and will put in my Bible. Actually, I may need to get a notebook for these because I think there will be more to come from you! This was exactly what I needed to hear today. I have worried and been anxious about a situation, and today it was all taken away. It turns out that I really had nothing to worry or be anxious about. It was a good lesson for me that God is in control, and I need to turn it all over to Him. Thanks!

 
At 9:47 PM, Blogger Me said...

Kim,
If you get a chance, go to covlife.org and listen to C.J.'s sermon. It was so wonderful. I am so grateful that God has used this man to build the wonderful church we are in. God is so good!

My words didn't do justice to C.J.'s sermon.

God Bless!
Leigh

 
At 7:58 AM, Blogger Janis Rodgers said...

I am going to have to find this book. It sounds like just what I need right now! Thanks for sharing!

 
At 1:48 PM, Blogger Susanne said...

This is really timely Kim. Thanks for posting it. I think I'll print it out and keep it in my bible.

 
At 8:35 PM, Blogger Deidre said...

I have this book, Kim and I love it. It's one of those books to keep on hand and read again and again.

I pray you are feeling better.

 
At 10:27 AM, Blogger Kim said...

What wonderful reminders. Back in the spring I experienced the most severe form of anxiety and crippling fear that I had ever had in my entire life.

"God permits troubles so that we'll experience His comfort and learn to comfort others and trust Him and not ourselves. 2 Corinthians 1:3-10"....EXACTLY!

I knew it then but I can fully embrace it now. It was so difficult that I have not even written about it, but I am so incredibly grateful for what God was doing to guide us through certain decisions and work through that trial.

Blessings!

 
At 6:14 PM, Blogger Jennifer (mom of four) said...

Hi

Just stopping by to say hello! I am still reading all your posts. I hope you are feeling better. Can't wait to see pics of your remodel.

Have a great weekend!

 
At 9:52 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

As a new mommy, I needed this. Glad I caught up on your blog this AM!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me

I am a stay at home mother to 4. I am very blessed to have a godly husband who loves the Lord and his family. I welcome the days of much needed grace,the times of sweet victories,and the tears of trials,knowing it is all for God's glory. I want my lifesong to sing to Him,the author and finisher of my faith. Soli Deo Gloria--To the Glory of God alone.

My Complete Profile
Email Me Here



Adoption Information
Adoption video: Please watch "Bring Me Hope" Video found on this link:
Bring Me Hope Video

You Can Also Find Us Here:
Bringing Home Lydia
Sugar Pie Honey Bunch
Go The Distance

Miles in 2009
Run-550.5
Walk-105.5 miles

Miles in 2008
Run-643.5 miles
Walk-106 miles
Bike-28 miles
Daily Bible Verse

Recommended Reading
  • Pray For The Chapmans
  • In Memory Of Maria
  • Mary Beth Chapman
  • Amy Wilhoite's Love for a Faithful God and Her Amazing Testimony of God's Goodness. You must read!
  • Amy's Humble Musings
  • A Spacious Place
  • Al Mohler
  • Beauty From The Heart
  • Between Two Worlds
  • Bring The Rain
  • Challies
  • Deo Volente
  • Desiring God Blog
  • Fat Free Vegan Kitchen
  • Forthright Fixation
  • Girl Talk
  • Grace Notes
  • Happy Herbivore
  • I Am Chief
  • Irish Calvinist
  • Jillian,Inc
  • Josh Harris
  • Hope Road
  • Light Came
  • Lisa Writes
  • Mercy Days
  • Musings of the Dings
  • Of First Importance
  • Passionate Homemaking
  • Practicing Theology
  • Preschoolers and Peace
  • Pulpit Magazine
  • Purple Cellar
  • Radical Womanhood
  • Rebecca Writes
  • The Rebelution
  • Reflections
  • Renewing Our Minds
  • Seasonings of the Heart
  • Showered With Grace
  • Titus 2 Talk
  • Together For The Gospel
  • The Upward Call
  • Worship Matters
  • Friends

    Homeschooling Resources

    Good Stuff

    Previous Posts

    Search


    AddThis Feed Button

    Books I Am Reading Now


    Archives

    Credits
    Blog Design by:


    Powered by:


    Meter:

    Miscellaneous