Monday, January 08, 2007
Okay--You are not going to believe this!
I have never had such a weird thing happen to me....
Susanne tagged me for this fun book meme. I read her directions which are:
1)Grab the book closest to you
2)Open to page 123,go down to the fourth sentence
3)Post the text of the following 3 sentences on your blog
4)Name the author and book title
5)Tag three people to do the same
I have to explain a little bit of background on this before I actually get to the book quote. Some of you who read my blog know that my pastor has been preaching through Romans. He has been on Romans 12:1-2 for the last 10 weeks! Yesterday,he actually moved to the next verse...verse 3 on humility. The verses says:
His sermon was on humility and let me just say...it was excellent and so convicting. I had actually been wanting to post on this topic for a while because I feel in the blogworld,we only let people see what we want them to see...no one really knows what their *real* life is like. This is a whole different post and one I am going to get to that topic maybe later this week...Anyway,our pastor read an excerpt from CJ Mahaney's book,*Humility True Greatness*. I read the book a few months ago,because our daughter was required to read it before she was allowed to participate in a mission trip with our church(required reading from the youth pastor--pretty neat,huh?)...so,I had read through it then. It is a great book. Our pastor read a story about the cream cheese guy and went on to read about a cream cheese moment for CJ. I spent a pretty long while looking for this story because I was going to post on humility sometime this week. I could not find it...I had the book on our computer desk,so this morning before the children were awake,I was skimming it again to try and find the cream cheese story. I could not find it and was getting frustrated! You can see where I am going with this....when I found out Susanne had tagged me,I grabbed the book closest to me...*Humility True Greatness* and turned to page 123 and then went down four sentences,and read...it was the beginning(exactly the sentence) of the cream cheese story!!!!! Isn't that unbelievable??? Thank you Susanne for helping me find the story I was searching for!
Now,to the quote for the meme....
Now,I am going to finish the story....
CJ goes on to say...
Another aspect I thought of when reading through this again was...how do we respond when someone does tell us we have cream cheese on our face?(well,not literally,but when someone corrects us or tells us we are in sin). Do we laugh it off,do we turn beet red in embarrassment,do we become angry with that person,do we try to avoid that person? Or,do we see that person as someone who loves us and wants what is best for us...do we see our own sinfulness and repent?
I was thinking after our pastor told the story,not only do I have cream cheese on my face,but a big glob fell on the front of my shirt,too, and now it is all over me. The sin of pride,we all have it...only God's grace can help us see it in our own lives and repent to be more like Christ....who humbled Himself in obedience to the point of death.
True humility--I need to work on this more...I recommend CJ Mahaney's book *Humility True Greatness* if you need to work on it,too! I'm about to read it again!
Now,for the tagging...I tag Cyndi,Leslie,and Kelly!
Susanne tagged me for this fun book meme. I read her directions which are:
1)Grab the book closest to you
2)Open to page 123,go down to the fourth sentence
3)Post the text of the following 3 sentences on your blog
4)Name the author and book title
5)Tag three people to do the same
I have to explain a little bit of background on this before I actually get to the book quote. Some of you who read my blog know that my pastor has been preaching through Romans. He has been on Romans 12:1-2 for the last 10 weeks! Yesterday,he actually moved to the next verse...verse 3 on humility. The verses says:
For through the grace given to me I say to every man among you not to think more highly of himself than he ought to think; but to think so as to have sound judgment,as God has allotted to each a meausure of faith.
His sermon was on humility and let me just say...it was excellent and so convicting. I had actually been wanting to post on this topic for a while because I feel in the blogworld,we only let people see what we want them to see...no one really knows what their *real* life is like. This is a whole different post and one I am going to get to that topic maybe later this week...Anyway,our pastor read an excerpt from CJ Mahaney's book,*Humility True Greatness*. I read the book a few months ago,because our daughter was required to read it before she was allowed to participate in a mission trip with our church(required reading from the youth pastor--pretty neat,huh?)...so,I had read through it then. It is a great book. Our pastor read a story about the cream cheese guy and went on to read about a cream cheese moment for CJ. I spent a pretty long while looking for this story because I was going to post on humility sometime this week. I could not find it...I had the book on our computer desk,so this morning before the children were awake,I was skimming it again to try and find the cream cheese story. I could not find it and was getting frustrated! You can see where I am going with this....when I found out Susanne had tagged me,I grabbed the book closest to me...*Humility True Greatness* and turned to page 123 and then went down four sentences,and read...it was the beginning(exactly the sentence) of the cream cheese story!!!!! Isn't that unbelievable??? Thank you Susanne for helping me find the story I was searching for!
Now,to the quote for the meme....
Take for example the man described in this story I came across: As I sat with my family at a local breakfast establishment,I noticed a finely dressed man at an adjacent table. His armani suit and stiffly pressed shirt coordinated perfectly with a power tie. His wing tip shoes sparkled from a recent shine,every hair was in place,including his perfectly groomed moustache.
Now,I am going to finish the story....
The man sat alone eating a bagel as he prepared for a meeting. As he reviewed the papers before him,he appeared nervous,glancing frequently at his Rolex watch. It was obvious he had an important meeting ahead. The man stood up and I watched as he straightened his tie and prepared to leave. Immediately I noticed a blog of cream cheese attached to his finely groomed moustache. He was about to go into the world,dressed in his finest,with cream cheese on his face I thought of the business meeting he was about to attend. Who would tell him? Should I? What if no one did?.
CJ goes on to say...
Do you think you have a clear idea of where pride is at work in your life? Are you certain you have your act together when it comes to humility? Chances are you're like this finely dressed man--perfectly groomed and confident,but with a large glob of cream cheese on his moustache.
Another aspect I thought of when reading through this again was...how do we respond when someone does tell us we have cream cheese on our face?(well,not literally,but when someone corrects us or tells us we are in sin). Do we laugh it off,do we turn beet red in embarrassment,do we become angry with that person,do we try to avoid that person? Or,do we see that person as someone who loves us and wants what is best for us...do we see our own sinfulness and repent?
I was thinking after our pastor told the story,not only do I have cream cheese on my face,but a big glob fell on the front of my shirt,too, and now it is all over me. The sin of pride,we all have it...only God's grace can help us see it in our own lives and repent to be more like Christ....who humbled Himself in obedience to the point of death.
True humility--I need to work on this more...I recommend CJ Mahaney's book *Humility True Greatness* if you need to work on it,too! I'm about to read it again!
Now,for the tagging...I tag Cyndi,Leslie,and Kelly!


I am a stay at home mother to 4. I am very blessed to have a godly husband who loves the Lord and his family. I welcome the days of much needed grace,the times of sweet victories,and the tears of trials,knowing it is all for God's glory. I want my lifesong to sing to Him,the author and finisher of my faith. Soli Deo Gloria--To the Glory of God alone.









15 Comments:
Wow, that is awesome, Kim! God answers in such unexpected ways. And did you also notice the book review I did right after that meme was entitled "Elijah-the Man of Humility and Heroism". It's a study on the life of Elijah. This was an excellent post, Kim. I'll be rereading it a few times.
How cool is that?! So did you jump out of your chair a do a happy dance? I probably would have. Really, that is so cool.
I also found it absolutely hilarious that you typed, "Immediately I noticed a blog of cream cheese attached to his finely groomed moustache." LOL!!! A blog of cream cheese! I know you mean "glob," but I think it's so funny you typed "blog."
I don't know which book I'm going to use. Right now, on my desk, I have 7 books stacked right next to me. Should I just take the one on top? Decisions, decisions.
Oh,no! I did not notice that! That is too funny...well,you know me and my typos...
another thing to keep me humble....
Kim
Okay, this is fun! I just love the way God answers prayers. He could've let you thumb through the book several times, but that wouldn't have been near as fun as this!
And I wouldn't have gotten my first "tag." Way more fun!
I love the cream cheese story. And now I'm looking for a cream cheese blog.
:)
Like Leslie, I have a stack. I think I'll just grab the top one...
Thanks, Kim!
That is so wonderful! I, too, have cream cheese all over me! I'm glad I stopped by to see your Menu for the week. I got a helping of honesty along with it! :) I'll have to check the book out. Sounds like something I need. Thanks!
Kim, I found your blog through Leslie. C.J.'s book is on the top of my to read next list. I just wrote yesterday about humility. It seems to be a theme with me these days. Thank you for your excellent thoughts.
What a great post! I have been wanting to read the CJ Mahaney book. I really liked "Feminine Appeal" by his wife Carolyn.
Kim,
This is absolutely awesome....and in case you have ever wondered if the time spent blogging is well spent, now you know. I loved reading this.
Hi Kim! I just found your blog through Leslie :) I was excited to see some your interests just through one post!!! We are at a sov grace church, and sat under pastor John (Piper) for 3 years! We've also adopted 2 children!! So, you hit on a lot of our "loves" : ) I tried to find a contact for you so that I could email you, but I couldn't find one!! But wanted to ask what church ya'll are at and where you are : ) My blog has my email in my profile! I'd love to hear from you!! : )
That is too amazing! I may have to look that book up! Thanks for sharing. I can't believe that it was on the 123rd page, etc. :-) Neat!
Great story! I have been reading your comments at Leslie's blog and came on over. Good stuff!
Loved this post. I love that we serve a God who is in the big things and the little things. I truly believe He delights in these "little miracles" that encourage us so much. Sometimes, though, I get so busy and distracted that I miss them. Thank you for sharing this--now I'll go grab the closest book!
I was listening to a sermon from Capitol Hills Baptist (not Dever, but Dr. Michael Lawrence) and he mentioned that same book, Humility True Greatness by C.J. Mahaney. I think I'll move this one up on the list.
Pride- It is certain to be one of the *most* difficult sins to deal with.....daily. It seems to be at the root of so many strongholds for me.
Yes,for me,too,Kim.
Thanks so much for your post Kim. I love the cream cheese story-both how you were led to find it again, and the story itself! This sounds like a book that I need to look for.
Blessings to you!
Rebecca
Post a Comment
<< Home