Monday, March 12, 2007
Back to my deleted post....style is not the issue.
Some of you may have wondered what happened to a post that was a few days back...where I addressed worship being for God and not man. I deleted it, some of you may have noticed. Why you may ask? Well, after thinking it through and evaluating the comments I realized that some were seeing it as an attack on a certain worship style...it was not.

It goes much deeper than that for us. I thought I could better address it with an explanation as to why I am so concerned about the evangelical church of today. I am hoping those who commented will see that I am not opposed to a certain style per say, but more to a church growth philosophy that negates God and His word.

Our music/worship intern led our worship time on Sunday. Before we began singing he made a comment that cut me deep to the soul and made me so very sad. He said he was beginning to listen to a series of sermons from a particular pastor and this pastor began with the Bible is relevant for all of life's situations...which I agree with...he then went on to say something like this: Zack quoted him..."Nobody today wants to hear about things like *Propitiation for the atonement of our iniquities*". This pastor he was listening to was in a sense making fun of these doctrines...like they weren't important and who really cares what these words mean,anyway. Zack said this man went on to preach a series on the Blessed Life.

How can we preach on the blessed life while omitting the cross...Christ's suffering...the propitiation that Christ's death allowed for...the atonement for our iniquities(sins)??? I love the word propitiation. I love what it means. Understanding that word has caused me to be more devoted to God...more than ever before. Propitiation means that Christ death satisfied God's wrath towards believers. I learned just recently that this satisfaction (propitiation) did not just make God neutral towards us, but it caused God to look upon us favorably! How can we see our blessed life out of context with that Truth???

We went on to sing Sunday morning,after Zack's comments, about the cross and what Christ did for us there.

I remember a quote I read a long time ago...I think from the Banner of Truth magazine...that when the foundational purposes of the church is off everything else will be off, too. For example, when you button your shirt and miss the first button, all the other buttons are off. So it is with how the church should function...if evangelism is our foundation, than everything we do will be focused on that and a pragmatic philosophy will be adhered to. Evangelism is a purpose, but it can not be the foundation or main purpose. Glorifying God must be foundational...then everything else will stay in line with a Biblical purpose...evangelism will have a place under glorifying God. The buttons will be lined up correctly. If evangelism is the foundation, then whatever works will be the rule. Instead of Biblical principles that glorify God leading the way, the church adopts a pragmatic philosophy of ministry. Church then becomes however it needs to be to bring people in...or to make people like, or enjoy their church. I think this has happened in many churches. They believe that Jesus is the answer and preach faith, but what they do shows that they are really ashamed of the gospel...so they have to make church more appealing...make worship more fun...have light preaching that doesn't make people feel uncomfortable or bored. Etc. Do you see where my concerns are? It is more than not liking a style. I like lots of styles of music...I do think that the style should always show reverence...be Biblical songs that elevate God and His Word, with depth and showing praise and adoration towards Christ. Some songs in church do not do this...but that is a different issue about music. I won't touch that today.

Some of the things I have seen being omitted in church: (either from my own experiences in past churches or from what I have read)

1) God's wrath toward unbelievers
2) Doctrine of sin
3) Propitiation (God's complete satisfaction in Christ's death)
4) Justification
5) Repentance
6) Sanctification
7) God's Holiness
8) Doctrine of man's total depravity
9) Faith in Christ alone
10)Biblical depth in preaching


Another thing I think is not focused enough on is how to live godly in this world...how to overcome sinfulness and be Holy as God is holy. I realize we will never be Holy this side of heaven, but we are to be pursuing Holiness.

The things being omitted are being replaced with:

1) Glorification of man
2) A style that caters to man's wants
3) Light, short, carefree sermons that omit repentance and our depravity
4) A lack of a high view of God
5) Emphasis on programs, music styles, growing in numbers (breadth), while neglecting growing in Biblical depth.
6) Sin is accepted and not dealt with within the body

Some may see this post as negative and critical. My heart is heavy and concerned...I am not angry or upset...I just see that as believers we need to stand up for Truth in a culture that doesn't love Truth.

The gospel is beautiful to me. I want more of God's Word permeating my heart. How can we want anything else?

Ephesians 4:14-15

You really need to read the whole chapter to keep it in context.

As a result, we are no longer to be children, tossed here and there by waves, and carried by every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, by craftiness in deceitful schemes; but speaking the Truth in love, we are to grow up in all aspects into Him, who is the head, even Christ...


I just wanted to add that our music pastor intern was also very saddened by this man's comments...I don't know if I made that clear...he was wanting to raise our awareness to the fact that these things are being taught in churches out there.

posted at 1:47 PM
Comments (24)



24 Comments:
At 3:23 PM, Blogger Deidre said...

Oh, Kim. I so agree with this entire post. On my heart so strongly these days are those churches that are taking the 'cross' and the 'blood' out of their services so they don't offend anyone. They don't want either mentioned in songs or in sermons. Sad! The same goes for sin. They want people to leave feeling good instead of conviction. I'm so thankful I attend a church that stands on Truth no matter what. I do not want my children exposed to anything else.

Thanks so much for posting this. I didn't at all think your previous post was wrong, but I know this explanation will help others understand. God will use it....good for you!!

Hope you're having a great week so far!

 
At 4:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well said! I didn't think your previous post was as an attack. To me, it came across as something with which you were concerned. However, I appreciate you taking the time to clarify. I agree so much with your button analogy. We must make sure we have first things first. It does no good to attract the lost if we are unwilling to share with them the true and whole word of God. Thanks for this excellent post!

 
At 5:13 PM, Blogger Janis Rodgers said...

I agree with your post. I think many churches are turning to more of the "feel good" faith than the Truth. If we don't tell them the real Truth, then who will? The Truth is the only thing that will get them to Heaven. Blessings to you!

 
At 5:23 PM, Blogger Jenn said...

Thanks for this post Kim. So true. Many churches are becoming "man-centered" and not "God-centered." It's so sad to see. Keep on speaking the truth!

 
At 5:36 PM, Blogger Jessica said...

Thanks for posting this! We just talked about it in SS on Sunday am.

 
At 6:24 PM, Blogger Rebekah said...

I didn't see your other post, but this one is so right. As I've grown in my understanding of the Bible, I'm becoming so aware of how very important it is to get the Gospel right. If people don't understand how very lost in sin we are and how offensive our sin is to a holy God, how can they really appreciate what a great salvation Jesus has provided? And how can they begin to understand the depth of their need for that salvation? And how can we truly glorify God if we do not give an accurate account the amazing grace He has extended to us? It's so much more than the shallow "good life" sermons I hear preached so often today. I totally agree with you about propitiation. And you're right, it goes so much deeper than mere style. It doesn't matter what we think people want to hear, but what they need to hear that matters. And these things are important enough that we need to take them seriously and speak the whole truth in love accurately. To leave out sin and repentance and all those things you listed is not loving at all. It is deceptive and it is not preaching the Gospel.

Thanks for such a thoughtful post.

 
At 6:52 PM, Blogger Elle said...

Kim, you have written with true excellence and concern for the glory of God. Style is only the symptom when a larger problem looms--that of leaving behind doctrine, believing it to be contradictory to pragmatism.

I thought of the song the children sing in VBS, the wise man built his house upon the rock, but the foolish man built his house upon the sand. Would that every church today return to building the House upon the Rock!

Thank you for thoughtful writing.

 
At 9:00 PM, Blogger Kim said...

Preach it girl. I was disappointed to see the post deleted and I am blessed to see you go even deeper into the subject.

Your blog is a blessing because it speaks truth. Never...never stop doing that. There will always be those that are "offended". Think of all those who were offended when the Word was spoken for the first time. You are seeking to speak truth married with love and that is the commanded action to take. Blessings!

"What you win the with is what you win them to"

 
At 9:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This would only be negative and critical if it was untrue. Tragically, it is all to accurate. There are thousands who fill today's seeker friendly churches who believe they're saved, but have never heard of Christ's propitiation for their sin.

 
At 9:46 PM, Blogger Donnetta said...

This was like a breath of fresh air to me. To see there are others out there pursuing holiness, knowing God's Word is what must be preached... not cute litte stories and feel good sayings.

I couldn't agree with you more on this!! You did a fantastic job putting it into words!

 
At 10:11 PM, Blogger Kelly said...

Beautifully said. I did not see the first post, but was glad you posted this. Substance over style on this matter--style can vary but never the substance.

In church last night, we were singing the old hymn "There is a Fountain Filled with Blood"--so thankful for such beautiful songs with such rich content.

 
At 11:39 PM, Blogger Susanne said...

That button analogy was excellent, Kim. I did not get from it that it was an attack on a certain worship style. This post was excellent, very thought provoking and challenging. Without hearing about the Propitiation, the blood, and the cross we really are not hearing about Christianity for that is the foundation on what all else of Christianity is.

 
At 12:04 AM, Blogger Mayhem And Miracles said...

I am delurking to say a resounding "AMEN!" I think there is nothing more sad than allowing those we are to lead to Christ to perish instead because we don't want to offend them. Christ said His message IS an offense to the hard of heart. It is what separates the saved from the Pharisees. A truly good friend will not "tickle their ears" with soft lies, but trust that's GOD'S WORD will not return void. How can we say we love God, but have shame at His Word? I Jhn. 1:1-2 "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God and THE WORD WAS GOD" (emphasis mine) Sorry to go on, but I also am very passionate that the world needs TRUTH. Thank you for this post.

 
At 7:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll de-lurk also to say Amen! My question for you is, what do you do when you're in a small town, attend a church like you talked about (everything centering around evangelism, no depth otherwise) and there seem to be no other alternatives that you agree with doctrinally enough to switch attending? Our church just announced the sermon series that will start Easter Sunday, and that sermon title is "What Matters Most" and it's about love. That what matters most is that we should love one another. I don't think that's what should matter most at all! At this time, my husband is involved with teaching (our attempt at adding some depth to the youth of our church, since we have 3 in it) and is the finance chairman, so it wouldn't be easy to leave, plus we don't know where we'd go???

thanks for a great blog, I love coming here for challenge and encouragement.

feel free to email me with your answer! We would love to have an objective opinion.

Ps1274ever AT earthlink DOT net

 
At 8:25 AM, Blogger Kim said...

Jodi,

I understand what you are saying...we were very involved in our previous church and loved the people there...but as we studied and sought answers from God's Word,we knew we had to do something. We now drive 65 miles to a wonderful reformed Bible church. It has its challenges, but sound doctrine is what we need more of in our lives. It is worth it to us.

I want to encourage you to be in a church where you can support the leadership(they are doing things biblically)...one that faithfully teaches the Word and one where you and your family can grow in the Lord.

Kim

 
At 8:42 AM, Blogger Kim said...

leaving a church is very serious and I would not recommend that,though until serious examination takes place. One very important thing for us was church discipline...people leaving in sin and nothing being done from the leadership. I think that is a very important issue. I'm going to post a sermon or 2 and maybe some questions and answers in my next post. It may help.

Kim

 
At 3:05 PM, Blogger Lisa Spence said...

Oh, wow, Kim, what a post...I echo and affirm all that you have said and like you, my heart is not critical nor smug, but broken and heavy. As you probably know, this post hits very close to home for us. I appreciate your wisdom!

 
At 3:48 PM, Blogger Kelly said...

Kim,
I absolutely agree that too many churches these days are sacrificing the Truth of God's Word for the sake of filling a seat. God's Word, in its entirety, must be preached! I also agree that everything should be centered around God's glory. I have thought a lot about this topic and I believe that a church can do both. They can preach the Word, have worship that is focused on a Holy God and reach the lost. I know that is the church we are trying to be! Some may look at our church and think, the music is loud, there are videos and lights, we preach both topically and verse by verse, so obviously, our theology is man focused. Yet, our pastor preaches the Word, unashamedly. In the past month, he finished up a Pure Sex series, where he spoke on biblical marriage, adultery, pornography and homosexuality and he never shied away or apologized for what God's Word says about those things! Yet, we had hundreds of visitors who came, Glory to God! Now, we are back in 1 Corinthians, and last week was about divorce and remarriage. He informed many in our congregation that thier divorce was sin as was thier second marriage. But, he also reminded them that God forgives sin and can redeem them through true repentance. It was a beautiful thing! I know I am rambling. I guess my bottom line is this: You can be both. You must create an environment where a holy God is worshipped and is the foundation. You can also create a place where the lost are ministered to with the Truth of God's Word. He is the only One who changes lives. He alone draws people to Himself. Yet, the environment can be relevant to all who come in without downgrading God. I think you can do both. I guess I am a little sensitive because my husband works hours each week to prepare for Sunday mornings. He and our staff are passionate about Jesus and would never detract from His Holiness. They strive to create an environment where He alone is worshipped. They also strive to make it current and a place where the lost will be challenged in their need for God.
Thanks for being willing to tackle a hard topic!

 
At 4:19 PM, Blogger Mrs. Julie Fink said...

Makes me so glad that I am married to a Man of God that preaches the Word of God without apology, but with plenty of love and humor. Makes me also glad to know many other churches that are pastored in the very same way ~ soul winning, biblical discipling, and Christ honoring.

 
At 9:10 PM, Blogger Middle-Aged Moi said...

I completely agree with this post. Completely.

 
At 11:19 PM, Blogger Connie said...

I agree, the pragmatism and man-centeredness of our churches today is deeply troubling. It is a cancer that few seem to regard as deadly. I appreciated reading your comments.

 
At 8:18 AM, Blogger Anita said...

I love the button analogy! Isn't it so freeing to know that if we're truly seeking to glorify God in all we do that everything else will fall into place. Not just in our churches, but in everyday life. Thanks for the great post(s)!

 
At 10:07 AM, Blogger Aaron said...

Thanks for the post Kim...

These are important, and yet sensitive issues - and we would do well to continue thinking through this prayerfully and considering "what saith the Lord."

An oft used phrase I've heard used to help evaluate these issues is this "Is the tail wagging the dog?". It's an old cliche, I know, but it's useful. I.e., what's "wagging" your church's philosophy of ministry? Is it fun... relevance... comfort for guests... convenience... or any other anthropocentric methods? Or, is it a high view of Scripture, the holiness of God, the sinfulness of man, the edification of the body, opportunities for service and practice of the "one anothers", etc.

Another way to think about this is to ask yourself this question, "What is my church known for?"

Let's be even more specific...take for example... the AWANA program. Now, I have friends who think that there is NO place for AWANA in church..."it's too worldy... focuses on rewarding kids... too much emphasis on fun...etc.". These are genuine concerns, right? However, I wouldn't necessarily throw AWANA out completely b/c of them. Why? Because those concerns can be addressed and changed in a way that would be more acceptable and pleasing to God. Our church uses the AWANA program, and there are many teens and adults who serve faithfully, and many Scriptures being memorized weekly, but this "program" (I almost hate to use that word!) doesn't drive our church. If we were to discontinue AWANA next week - it wouldn't bring our church to a grinding halt. I.e., it's not "wagging" our dog. BTW, the same friends who don't approve of AWANA, also don't approve of having gymnasiums as part of the church. I'll comment no further on that. :o)

All that to say this - if a church is faithfully expositing the Word, with a right view of God and man, and is fulfilling the criteria of a NT church (perhaps consult 9 Marks for more)then...
...is it wrong to be relevant?
It doesn't have to be.
...can kids have fun at church?
Sure! Within limits of course :o)
...do we make our guests feel comfortable?
Depends on what you mean by "comfortable" :o) Make them feel welcome? You bet! Be friendly and show genuine concern? Absolutely! Ease up on the message so as not to offend? Save the wrath and judgment sermons for Sunday evening when you don't have as many visitors? Never!

These are just a few things I try to think about as I consider these issues...perhaps they'll be helpful to each of you as well. I am SO guilty of being too judgmental toward such "seeker sensitive" ministry models. I should ask myself, "Well - am I being sensitive to seekers? I should." In fact, we should go to great lengths to reach the lost both individually as Christians and corporately as churches - WITHOUT blurring the line between the Church and the world. That seems to be the problem with some of the more "progressive" ministry philosophies out there today.

So, I think Kim is addressing the first and primary issue - the "foundational purpose" of the church. We would do well to spend our time getting this right, knowing where to draw the lines between revelant and ridiculous - between being sensitive toward seekers and being centered around seekers.

There. I'm done. Sorry for the length!

 
At 10:46 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

I appreciated reading your post today. It was thoughtfully and well-written, and an important reminder of what is truly important to God!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me

I am a stay at home mother to 4. I am very blessed to have a godly husband who loves the Lord and his family. I welcome the days of much needed grace,the times of sweet victories,and the tears of trials,knowing it is all for God's glory. I want my lifesong to sing to Him,the author and finisher of my faith. Soli Deo Gloria--To the Glory of God alone.

My Complete Profile
Email Me Here



Adoption Information
Adoption video: Please watch "Bring Me Hope" Video found on this link:
Bring Me Hope Video

You Can Also Find Us Here:
Bringing Home Lydia
Sugar Pie Honey Bunch
Go The Distance

Miles in 2009
Run-550.5
Walk-105.5 miles

Miles in 2008
Run-643.5 miles
Walk-106 miles
Bike-28 miles
Daily Bible Verse

Recommended Reading
  • Pray For The Chapmans
  • In Memory Of Maria
  • Mary Beth Chapman
  • Amy Wilhoite's Love for a Faithful God and Her Amazing Testimony of God's Goodness. You must read!
  • Amy's Humble Musings
  • A Spacious Place
  • Al Mohler
  • Beauty From The Heart
  • Between Two Worlds
  • Bring The Rain
  • Challies
  • Deo Volente
  • Desiring God Blog
  • Fat Free Vegan Kitchen
  • Forthright Fixation
  • Girl Talk
  • Grace Notes
  • Happy Herbivore
  • I Am Chief
  • Irish Calvinist
  • Jillian,Inc
  • Josh Harris
  • Hope Road
  • Light Came
  • Lisa Writes
  • Mercy Days
  • Musings of the Dings
  • Of First Importance
  • Passionate Homemaking
  • Practicing Theology
  • Preschoolers and Peace
  • Pulpit Magazine
  • Purple Cellar
  • Radical Womanhood
  • Rebecca Writes
  • The Rebelution
  • Reflections
  • Renewing Our Minds
  • Seasonings of the Heart
  • Showered With Grace
  • Titus 2 Talk
  • Together For The Gospel
  • The Upward Call
  • Worship Matters
  • Friends

    Homeschooling Resources

    Good Stuff

    Previous Posts

    Search


    AddThis Feed Button

    Books I Am Reading Now


    Archives

    Credits
    Blog Design by:


    Powered by:


    Meter:

    Miscellaneous