Saturday, March 03, 2007
Church Discipline
We attended a Shepherding Conference a few years ago to hear John MacArthur preach. It was a wonderful evening. At the time, we were really struggling with the church we were in. We were having trouble supporting its philosophy of ministry and were questioning the Biblical aspect of all the church growth movement and such. We were concerned with the whole seeker sensitive mentality and feared it was not Biblical at all. It was so refreshing to hear John Mac speak. During the time of being in a church where we just were not sure we could support its direction, we began reading sermons online. Mainly from The Bible Bulletin Board. We began reading John MacArthur, JC Ryle, Charles Spurgeon, George Whitefield and others. Our church was not feeding us the Word, so in desperation, we sought Biblical teaching from other sources.
At this particular conference,John Mac said these words:
Through studying God's Word,we had begun to see the importance of dealing with people's lives in a real way. We were seeing that people in sin need help. They do not a pat on the back and a *I"m sorry for what you are going through*...they need real instruction from God's Word on how to be repenters and overcomers of their sin.
Another positive aspect to a church having this ministry in place is it holds people accountable...it keeps them from sinning. I truly believe this. If a husband is considering committing adultery and they know the elders of the church will be coming to help him with this and it could possibly go before the church...don't you think he might think again before going through with it??? It keeps us living rightly.
Mathew 18 is the Biblical model for correct church discipline. The order is this:
1) If your brother sins, go to him in private and reprove him. If he repents, then you have won your brother.
2) If he doesn't listen, take one or two with you.
3) If he refuses to listen, tell it to the church.
4) If he still does not repent, then treat him as a tax gatherer or a Gentile.
Notice Matthew 18:20:
This verse has to do with church discipline....not praying together.
The goal of church discipline is always repentance and reconciliation. I have witnessed church discipline being done correctly. It was very graciously handled when brought before the church and the elder that spoke was broken hearted over this person's refusal to repent. The other steps had already taken place. He pleaded with the church family to love this person and pray for him...with the attitude of *we love you and want you to come back*. This is how to truly love people. It has much more of an impact on people's lives spiritually than passing out chips and salsa and having a rollerblading ministry. God's Word is what changes people's lives for real.
Why should churches have Biblical church discipline? Answer: If we truly care about the souls of men, we would do everything we can to offer Biblical help for their,and our, sin problem. Period. Thinking about church discipline on a superficial level, we may not want this, but we SO desperately need it.
At this particular conference,John Mac said these words:
A Church without church discipline is a church without Christ.
Through studying God's Word,we had begun to see the importance of dealing with people's lives in a real way. We were seeing that people in sin need help. They do not a pat on the back and a *I"m sorry for what you are going through*...they need real instruction from God's Word on how to be repenters and overcomers of their sin.
Another positive aspect to a church having this ministry in place is it holds people accountable...it keeps them from sinning. I truly believe this. If a husband is considering committing adultery and they know the elders of the church will be coming to help him with this and it could possibly go before the church...don't you think he might think again before going through with it??? It keeps us living rightly.
Mathew 18 is the Biblical model for correct church discipline. The order is this:
1) If your brother sins, go to him in private and reprove him. If he repents, then you have won your brother.
2) If he doesn't listen, take one or two with you.
3) If he refuses to listen, tell it to the church.
4) If he still does not repent, then treat him as a tax gatherer or a Gentile.
Notice Matthew 18:20:
For where two or three are gathered together in My name, there I am in their midst.
This verse has to do with church discipline....not praying together.
The goal of church discipline is always repentance and reconciliation. I have witnessed church discipline being done correctly. It was very graciously handled when brought before the church and the elder that spoke was broken hearted over this person's refusal to repent. The other steps had already taken place. He pleaded with the church family to love this person and pray for him...with the attitude of *we love you and want you to come back*. This is how to truly love people. It has much more of an impact on people's lives spiritually than passing out chips and salsa and having a rollerblading ministry. God's Word is what changes people's lives for real.
Why should churches have Biblical church discipline? Answer: If we truly care about the souls of men, we would do everything we can to offer Biblical help for their,and our, sin problem. Period. Thinking about church discipline on a superficial level, we may not want this, but we SO desperately need it.


I am a stay at home mother to 4. I am very blessed to have a godly husband who loves the Lord and his family. I welcome the days of much needed grace,the times of sweet victories,and the tears of trials,knowing it is all for God's glory. I want my lifesong to sing to Him,the author and finisher of my faith. Soli Deo Gloria--To the Glory of God alone.









20 Comments:
Hi Kim, love this post! Very timely for us right now as we are pondering searching for a new church for a lot of these reasons. Thanks for the confirmation - you never know the timely word God has for someone and when it will serve as confirmation...Thanks :)
Hope you don't mind me commenting. First Corinthians 5 makes it clear that we are not to accept conitunal sinful behavior in the church. We must remember as well that the purpose of the discipline is to cause a brother or sister in Christ to repent. Discipline is necessary for the good of the church and for the good of the sinful party. Thanks for these thoughts!
Sorry for my typo!
I'm so glad you brought out the fact that Jesus said those words in the context of church discipline! I have thought and thought about that. Paul even says the same thing in one of his letters--that he is as good as there as they go about the process of discipline. Very interesting!
Your posts are always so thoughtful. Thanks for taking time to write them!
Yes! My husband is an elder in our church and has to deal with some serious discipline issues at times. It is hard for people to see that you are trying to show them LOVE when the discipline is given. The bible says whom the Lord loves, he chastens. And the church must discipline too. It can be very difficult, but it is required in Scripture.
The goal of church discipline is always repentance and reconciliation.
It is unfortunate that too many of us don't understand this. Many fear church discipline because they think it's about finger pointing and guilt-tripping.
I agree with this post 100%!
~ Candy
We are so grateful to be in a church that practices biblical church discipline. We have had the great blessing of restoring many people back into our fellowship after God's work was done in their hearts because not only does the church body support in discipline and prayer, but also in great rejoicing and support at restoration. We have been known to break into applause at the announcement of someone's restoration after years of praying. It is the grace of God at work.
That is wonderful Alicia!
Kim
A very much-needed discussion, Kim. The MacArthur quote is dead-on. If sin is being tolerated, then the Lord is not there convicting hearts and filling the membership with compassion and urgency to pray and grow in godliness. This stuff is not optional!
A sorely needed post, Kim. Too many of the churches today measure success by the size of the congregation, so church discipline is relegated to the arena of personal relationships, hoping that someone in so-and-so's home group will address the sin issue.
Well written post!
I couldn't agree with you more... The difficulty in this today is that so many people are on the fringes of their congregation, so that the discipline really doesn't affect them as it should. If I am not in close community with my church family, I lose nothing by having fellowship withdrawn; I've never been *in* fellowship to begin with. It certainly speaks volumes as to the importance of developing real relationships with others in the church as opposed to just filling a seat one or 2 times a week.
amen, Amen, AMEN!!!!!
AMEN! :)
Being in the shoes of the ones where discipline is brought has been such a growing experience for my husband and I. As a pastor, he deals with these situations all too often. It amazes us when people who love the Lord can respond when this issue effects them or someone in thier family. Unfortuantely, we have lost close relationships because my husband has handled a discipline issue in the manner that Scripture requires. We just hold to the fact that we have been obedient to God's Word and pray for reconciliation.
You cannot know how timely this discussion is, not just of church discipline, but the inherent honesty that would accompany such an environment! It's high time we got serious about going to our brother who has sinned against us, rather than covering up, ignoring, or worse, murmuring and gossiping.
Thanks for your insights. Great post, Kim!
Hello there! I found your blog by way of Everyday Mommy's blog. She recommended this post. It was great! I totally agree with your thoughts. I would like to get your thoughts on another issue if you don't mind. My husband and I have recently moved to a new town and just can not find the "right" church. One that we feel comfortable in. One that suits us. I've prayed about this and still we are looking. Your thoughts?
Shane,
I recommend you reading this article.
www.biblebb.com/files/MAC/newchur.htm
It has some definite Biblical things to consider.
Thanks for your comment. I know it can be a struggle.
Kim
How interesting! When I first read this post, I thought WOW, this is so amazing because of what our church is going through. I just assumed I was the *only* one embracing this and felt like it was written for little ol' me :)hee hee
Church discipline "should" transcend to all Christ-following churches, but sadly it does not. Church discipline practiced in a biblical way (the only way) is nearly unheard and the consequences are evident...and sad.
I am grateful to be part of a church that uses the biblical model for discipline.
Thanks for a wonderful post!
I LOVE that you posted on this!! We are at a church now where I believe it's the first time I've seen church discipline done in a Biblical way - it's worshipful! It's amazing! It's humbling! It's GRACE!!! Thanks for sharing!!!!
Post a Comment
<< Home