Saturday, July 05, 2008
Book Giveaway from I Am Chief
I'm renting space on Kim's blog (really cheap) since she has a few more female readers than I do over at I Am Chief. Ok, truth is - she has a LOT more readers than I do. I have to admit, anyone who gets more comments on a post listing what they're having for dinner Monday obviously knows how to connect with her audience much more than I do! :o) And seriously, I wanted this book giveaway to hopefully reach the right person & thus the desire for a wider audience.

I remember some time ago recording Nancy Leigh Demoss interviewing Dr. Sally Knox, a breast cancer surgeon at Baylor Med Center in Dallas. I knew the interviews would be helpful and yet I didn't know that I would later be tracking down Dr. Knox for a copy of her book, The Breast Cancer Care Book. But I did - and she kindly sent me not just one, but two copies of her book. So I'm passing on the generosity to you.
Dr. Knox writes this book both as a physician (and a highly regarded one at that) and also as a Christian. She loves her work and she loves her Lord. Now, I haven't read the book, but during the interviews I was made aware of the great resource this book would be in the hands of many women. She ends each chapter with a section on what loved ones can do to help & encourage, as well as a reocurring section called, "Strengthening Thoughts from God's Word". There's also an entire chapter dedicated to the "Great Physician". I think this will be a great tool in the hands of someone wanting to minister to a breast cancer patient and of course it would be a precious gift to the patient herself.
Why did I ask Dr. Knox to send me a copy? Because, my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer last Fall. Her name is Jutta (Yoo-tah) and the Lord has been very merciful to her, as she has finished 6 rounds of chemo and is currently in the midst of several rounds of radiation. Things seem to be going well so far. I gave a copy to her in hopes that she would read about the Great Physician. You see, I have a two-fold purpose to this post. I want to give away a book, and also ask you to pray for my mother, who doesn't know the Lord.
Maybe some of you have a mother or relative or friend like my mom who could use such encourage from a resource like The Breast Cancer Care Book, whether they be a believer or an unbeliever. If so, leave a comment briefly describing someone you know who is battling breast cancer - if possible, tell us their first name so we can all be praying for these ladies. At the end of the week a winner will be randomly selected and I'll send you a copy of this book.
Thanks for participating and even moreso, thanks for praying.


Aaron from I AM Chief

posted at 7:10 PM
Comments (12)



12 Comments:
At 11:46 PM, Blogger Gina said...

For starters - Aaron's intro cracked me up.

For the book - my Aunt Vickie ("Bippie" to my kids), my mother's younger (and only) sister was diagnosed last October. She had a lumpectomy and just finished radiation a couple of weeks ago. Her prognosis is good but still - her mother, my maternal grandmother, died of metastatic breast cancer in 1960 so this is a frightening thing to her and my mom, especially.

 
At 10:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kim and Aaron

This book sounds like a wonderful resource. I think I will order one.

I have 2 friends who were diagnosed with breast cancer in the last 2 months. Incidentely they are both called Ruth. The first one to be diagnosed is a missionary to Japan. It has been quite a trial to deal with this in a country where she doesn't speak the language fluently, where she has no family support(apart from her husband)...but she has GOD! Our mutual friend(the other Ruth) has just completed one chemo treatment. She is single with great family support...and she has the strength that comes from being content in God's perfect will.

Aaron - we will pray for your Mom's physical healing, but most of all for God to open her eyes to her need of Him.

Jennifer(WI)

 
At 2:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is my first time commenting on your blog, Kim. I so appreciate what you have to share!

My cousin, Michelle was diagnosed last week with breast cancer, and she is having a mastectomy tomorrow. She is 34. Thanks for praying for her...she is not a believer.

Lynn

 
At 2:18 PM, Blogger PandaMom said...

My mom is a two-time survivor of breast cancer. Our prayers are always needed for this awful disease!

 
At 4:02 PM, Blogger Robin said...

My name is Robin, and I live in Dallas. I'm 32 years old with a 3 year old daughter and a 15 month old son. I had a mastectomy three months ago at MD Anderson in Houston. I've been pronouned "cured" but am still going through the reconstruction phase.

Obviously, breast cancer is not something I ever expected to go through, but I've been blessed to have had an amazing husband, a really supportive group of friends, and a wonderfully loving family helping in all kinds of ways throughout the journey.

An older, wiser woman at my church blessed me tremendously by admonishing me to skip the denial and anger stages and go straight to thanksgiving. Thanks to her and a very merciful God, I believe I have.

Blessings on you and your mom.

 
At 10:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! This really hits close to home.
My grandmother died from undiagnosed breast cancer. My aunt has battled it recurring and my mother in-law has battled this 5 times and has had a mam.
Needless to say... I am on my boobie exam monthly!!!
Please do not enter me in for the contest. I know that someone out there needs this desperately.
I just wanted to say, "Way 2 Go" on helping to get the word out and for aiding and supporting those who are battling this right now.

 
At 9:25 AM, Blogger Becca~CapturingSimpleJoys said...

Aaron, I'll be praying for your mother. As much as you want physical healing for her I'm sure her spiritual health is even more iimportant!

 
At 10:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your name "Life Song", the song by Casting Crown is one of my favorites.

Also, the Church I grew up in, was named Bethany Community Church for years 30 to be exact. Bethany merged with another church recently and renamed the Church name to "Life Song", can you believe it??

I hope you are able to visit me.

Blessings to you.
Jeannene

 
At 11:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel in love with your "The Fruit of the Spirit" blog roll button. I added it to my site, however can't figure out how to add my sites to it?? Can you tell me how?

Blessings,
Jeannene

 
At 11:05 AM, Blogger Aaron said...

Thank you for all your comments - this should give us much to pray about.
I'll wait until Sunday afternoon to randomly select someone to receive the book. We'll announce it Monday... sometime after Kim does her menus! :o)

 
At 11:32 AM, Blogger GloryandGrace said...

What a thoughtful idea to give away what seems to be a wonderful resource!

I know three lovely ladies who have each been diagnosed and been through the treatment process for breast cancer:
1) Jamie, age 26, was diagnosed in 2007 and has undergone chemo, surgery, and radiation treatments.
2) Christy, age 32, was diagnosed in 2007 and has also undergone treatment. They discovered the cancer while she was pregnant with her 4th child.
3) Cheryle, my mother-in-law, is wrapping up treatment for her second time with breast cancer. The first time she had it was about 7 years ago, and this time she was diagnosed in 2007 shortly after my husband and I got engaged.

I have been amazed and encouraged by each of these women, and thank you again for doing such a nice thing as this book giveaway!

Grace and peace~

 
At 11:31 PM, Blogger Aaron said...

Thanks again for participating ladies. After a highly scientific and yet extremely random process, the recipient of the book has been determined.

Congratulations to "Jennifer (WI)"!!

Jennifer, if you'll send me a mailing address, I'll put your book in the mail Monday.

Email: aaron DOT iamchief AT gmail DOT com

Thanks again to everyone!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me

I am a stay at home mother to 4. I am very blessed to have a godly husband who loves the Lord and his family. I welcome the days of much needed grace,the times of sweet victories,and the tears of trials,knowing it is all for God's glory. I want my lifesong to sing to Him,the author and finisher of my faith. Soli Deo Gloria--To the Glory of God alone.

My Complete Profile
Email Me Here



Adoption Information
Adoption video: Please watch "Bring Me Hope" Video found on this link:
Bring Me Hope Video

You Can Also Find Us Here:
Bringing Home Lydia
Sugar Pie Honey Bunch
Go The Distance

Miles in 2009
Run-550.5
Walk-105.5 miles

Miles in 2008
Run-643.5 miles
Walk-106 miles
Bike-28 miles
Daily Bible Verse

Recommended Reading
  • Pray For The Chapmans
  • In Memory Of Maria
  • Mary Beth Chapman
  • Amy Wilhoite's Love for a Faithful God and Her Amazing Testimony of God's Goodness. You must read!
  • Amy's Humble Musings
  • A Spacious Place
  • Al Mohler
  • Beauty From The Heart
  • Between Two Worlds
  • Bring The Rain
  • Challies
  • Deo Volente
  • Desiring God Blog
  • Fat Free Vegan Kitchen
  • Forthright Fixation
  • Girl Talk
  • Grace Notes
  • Happy Herbivore
  • I Am Chief
  • Irish Calvinist
  • Jillian,Inc
  • Josh Harris
  • Hope Road
  • Light Came
  • Lisa Writes
  • Mercy Days
  • Musings of the Dings
  • Of First Importance
  • Passionate Homemaking
  • Practicing Theology
  • Preschoolers and Peace
  • Pulpit Magazine
  • Purple Cellar
  • Radical Womanhood
  • Rebecca Writes
  • The Rebelution
  • Reflections
  • Renewing Our Minds
  • Seasonings of the Heart
  • Showered With Grace
  • Titus 2 Talk
  • Together For The Gospel
  • The Upward Call
  • Worship Matters
  • Friends

    Homeschooling Resources

    Good Stuff

    Previous Posts

    Search


    AddThis Feed Button

    Books I Am Reading Now


    Archives

    Credits
    Blog Design by:


    Powered by:


    Meter:

    Miscellaneous