Saturday, February 10, 2007
Father/ Daughter Banquet was last night...
I know some of you have read my post about shopping for a dress for the father/daughter banquet at our church. It was last night and they had a wonderful time! All of the senior girls gave testimonies about their father's example and influence in their lives.It was a special evening of fellowship and appreciation for eachother. There was a song written for this special occasion from a man in our church. A senior girl and her father sang some verses of it while the girls sang the other parts. The words are beautiful and I'd like to post some of them for you. It was a really long song, but here are some of the words that the girls sang:
In my eyes you are so humble
In my eyes you are so strong
In my eyes you have such wisdom
To teach me right from wrong
When I wake to see you praying in
Your mom's old rocking chair
I know the love you have for Christ
And know I'm in that prayer

In your eyes I saw the tears
In your eyes I saw the joy
In your eyes I saw the softness
That I'd never seen before
In your eyes I saw the peace that
Came with knowledge that we'll be
Together with the King of Glory
In eternity.

Everybody(the dad and the girls) sang:
Father as I come and seek
Your blessing on this life
I thank you for the years of love
We've shared and now I ask(pause)

In your eyes have I been faithful?
In your eyes have I been true?
In your eyes have I been careful
To seek and follow You?
In this love you let us share have I
Been careful to fulfill:

The Dad: My duty as a father?
The girls: My duty as a daughter?

Girl: Does this new life you've given me reflect Your sacrifice?
The Dad: In Your eyes,have I fulfilled Your purpose in my daughter's life?

All: In these eyes that God has given us to see the light of day
Let us see the grace of Jesus Christ and know His holy way.


I think any father hearing this song would feel encouraged or even possibly convicted,if they were not living right before God and their daughter.

About the dress...We found a dress just the color that Gracie wanted. It was a beautiful blue(kinda periwinkle) silk tafetta with embroidered netting overlay. But...it was strapless. Pins can not fix that problem! Most dresses are strapless in the stores now...so we spoke with the seamstress at the shop to see what could be done to make the dress more modest. Of course,she was shocked,since most of the girls coming in are looking for a strapless dress. She did have some great ideas! So,we cut the dress off in the front,to make it tea length and it trailed into a long train in the back that went down on the floor and hung down a bit more. The fabric from where we cut it off became a band around the top to make it go up higher and to make 1 1/2 inch straps. The results turned out great! A beautiful dress with wide straps...still looking elegant and pretty,but modest. We would have preferred a sleeveless dress that covered more at the top,like last years,but this one was the best option for us.

Overall,I think this father and daughter had a wonderful evening. Even if your church does not do this, it would be so special to let your daughters get all dressed up for a nice dinner out with their dads. There is nothing more precious than a daughter feeling loved by her daddy!

I'm going to be posting on modesty and the *Girl Talk* book by Carolyn Mahaney and her daughter,Nicole, throughout this week. Please come back and read about our Biblical convictions on this very important topic!

posted at 8:07 PM
Comments (16)



16 Comments:
At 9:32 PM, Blogger PandaMom said...

Oh...my...goodness. She is so beautiful. From what you have posted about your family, I'm sure that she is just as beautiful on the inside as well. What a fun night and one that will more than likely be imprinted on her heart forever! ; )

 
At 10:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a thoughtful song!! I just love this father/daughter banquet event. The one at your church doesn't sound at all like the typical father/daughter banquet.

The dress is very pretty and your daughter is beautiful!

 
At 10:13 PM, Blogger Deidre said...

Wow! Great idea for making the dress more modest. I love that.

Your daughter is beautiful and so very fortunate to have a caring and attentive father.

 
At 10:28 PM, Blogger Tammy said...

That is a beautiful song...we have two girls, 7 and 4, and I hope my girls always have a wonderful relationship with their daddy.
Your daughter is so lovely!

 
At 10:49 PM, Blogger Lori said...

This is beautiful in soooo many ways. Great pictures.

 
At 11:00 PM, Blogger Laura said...

Kim, your daughter is stunning and the dress is gorgeous. What a great solution you came up with for the dress. You can't even tell it didn't come that way.

What a memory for your husband and daughter.
Laura

 
At 2:58 AM, Blogger Much Ado said...

What a beautiful dress and your daughter looks so pretty, radiant and graceful in it! The song is wonderful too and what a great father/daughter idea.

Looking forward to your thoughts on the Girl Talk book. I read their blog is it great.

 
At 6:35 AM, Blogger Becky said...

Kim, your post today, as well as the one about shopping for a dress, is prompting me to encourage the leadership at our church to do something (workshop, speaker?) about modesty in young ladies, particularly in the area of dress. I also think the Father/Daughter Banquet is a wonderful idea. Your daughter's dress turned out beautifully. And I feel your frustration in shopping for it - we're running into similar problems and our oldest is only 7!

 
At 1:34 PM, Blogger Alicia said...

Kim, your post inspired me to share a few of the online sources I've found for modest clothes. Maybe one of them will help next year. It looks like Gracie(who looks absolutuely lovely, by the way) is in that difficult size range between girls and women's.

 
At 3:16 PM, Blogger Erin said...

Wow! That was a great song! And, what a special night for your daughter and your husband!!

She looks beautiful!!

 
At 7:11 PM, Blogger Cyndi said...

Wow, Kim. Our church does this, but only up through 5th grade. I still have the wrist corsage in the refrigerator in the garage, though :::sniff::: I love these pictures! Thank you so much for sharing, and I look forward to reading your thoughts throughout the week. I'm posting on something similar that God has put on my heart lately as well.

 
At 9:51 PM, Blogger Jayme said...

Gracie looks beautiful!!!

 
At 10:08 PM, Blogger Borbe Bunch said...

Gracie is so beautiful, inside and out. I can tell that she is very loved and protected by her daddy, such a gift and blessing for her.
I like Carolyn as an author and I have heard her speak, I admire her relationship with her daughters and pray for the same one with my two girls.
You are a good example to me as a younger mommy :) thank you for allowing God to use you.
My husband and I likewise desire modesty for our girls, since he is a Youth Pastor, we see so much that breaks our heart in the area of what parents allow their children to wear...we have prayerfully been training our girls that their bodies are precious and must be protected and cherished by modesty and good decisions...they are learning, even if I lift my arms and show any tiny bit of my back, my oldest tells me I am not modest :) I love that and PRAY her tender heart towards appearance and modesty continues...
Looking forward to what you write in future posts...
A sister in Christ,
Liz

 
At 11:21 PM, Blogger Kelly said...

Kim, How beautiful Gracie looked! This is such a wonderful blessing for daughters to have this kind of special night with their fathers.

 
At 6:09 AM, Blogger Heather said...

Oh, that song just makes me want to cry! How beautiful!

 
At 12:38 PM, Blogger Lisa Spence said...

Beautiful words...beautiful dress...beautiful daughter!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me

I am a stay at home mother to 4. I am very blessed to have a godly husband who loves the Lord and his family. I welcome the days of much needed grace,the times of sweet victories,and the tears of trials,knowing it is all for God's glory. I want my lifesong to sing to Him,the author and finisher of my faith. Soli Deo Gloria--To the Glory of God alone.

My Complete Profile
Email Me Here



Adoption Information
Adoption video: Please watch "Bring Me Hope" Video found on this link:
Bring Me Hope Video

You Can Also Find Us Here:
Bringing Home Lydia
Sugar Pie Honey Bunch
Go The Distance

Miles in 2009
Run-550.5
Walk-105.5 miles

Miles in 2008
Run-643.5 miles
Walk-106 miles
Bike-28 miles
Daily Bible Verse

Recommended Reading
  • Pray For The Chapmans
  • In Memory Of Maria
  • Mary Beth Chapman
  • Amy Wilhoite's Love for a Faithful God and Her Amazing Testimony of God's Goodness. You must read!
  • Amy's Humble Musings
  • A Spacious Place
  • Al Mohler
  • Beauty From The Heart
  • Between Two Worlds
  • Bring The Rain
  • Challies
  • Deo Volente
  • Desiring God Blog
  • Fat Free Vegan Kitchen
  • Forthright Fixation
  • Girl Talk
  • Grace Notes
  • Happy Herbivore
  • I Am Chief
  • Irish Calvinist
  • Jillian,Inc
  • Josh Harris
  • Hope Road
  • Light Came
  • Lisa Writes
  • Mercy Days
  • Musings of the Dings
  • Of First Importance
  • Passionate Homemaking
  • Practicing Theology
  • Preschoolers and Peace
  • Pulpit Magazine
  • Purple Cellar
  • Radical Womanhood
  • Rebecca Writes
  • The Rebelution
  • Reflections
  • Renewing Our Minds
  • Seasonings of the Heart
  • Showered With Grace
  • Titus 2 Talk
  • Together For The Gospel
  • The Upward Call
  • Worship Matters
  • Friends

    Homeschooling Resources

    Good Stuff

    Previous Posts

    Search


    AddThis Feed Button

    Books I Am Reading Now


    Archives

    Credits
    Blog Design by:


    Powered by:


    Meter:

    Miscellaneous