Wednesday, May 16, 2007
Homeschooling...Reasons that are most important for us.
I have mentioned some of our reasons for homeschooling in previous posts here and here. Now, I'd like to end this series on homeschooling with what we think is the most important reasons for us to homeschool. Like, I have stated before...I do not think homeschooling is the only way to achieve this with your children, nor do I think that all families should homeschool...but FOR US it has been a tremendous blessing and we have specific reasons for being so proactive in our children's lives.
We feel very strongly that our children should be taught a Biblical worldview. Through christian literature, creation studies, and other various ways that homeschool does allow for. We don't want them to just hear that God created the world in 6 days at church and then leave them with that as their aplogogetics...we want them to have a strong focus on what is Biblical and what is not. We want our children to have discernment in this age, because the world and satan's techniques are tricky and subtle. They must be grounded in Biblical Truths from the beginning of their little lives.
My husband was a science major in college. He had many upper level science courses in high school as well as college. He majored in zoology, planning to further his education in the dental field. He was exposed to all sorts of unbiblical errors throughout his schooling. In public highschool, he was pressured to believe that evolution was truth, although he knew as well as the teachers did, that it was a theory. It was taught as truth. Isn't it terrible that evolution is taught as fact and anything Biblical taught in the schools from a teacher is AGAINST THE LAW??? Something is very wrong here. As a Christian family, we knew that if our children went to a public school, they would hear this kind of indoctrination from well meaning and kind teachers that they respected. Who is to know if they would believe what they were taught or even if it caused them to question their belief in God's Word as the Truth. Some parents may feel that they should allow this in their life and allow the Holy Spirit to work in them...I disagree. I believe parents should be proactive in teaching their children Truth and they should actively protect their heart and minds from error. That doesn't mean we do not teach them what the world says...we do...very often, but it is always in the context of *this is wrong and here is what God's Word says*. They are never taught it as a fact or something believable...we always say this is what the world says, but we know this to be untrue. That context helps them be aware of what is spoken and believed in the world, while we are addressing the Biblical explanation for it.
Our children need to be guided on what is right and wrong from the standpoint of Truth, without allowing other people in authority over them to be pressuring them to adopt faulty philosophies about everything. In the schools, there is a heavy humanistic belief system...subtle errors influencing our children's hearts and minds.
I will address the statement that so many public school supporters say..."I went to the Public schools and I turned out all right". I guess that depends on how you define all right. I know we are all born with a sin nature and those sins manifest themselves in different ways with everybody. But, I did not feel sheltered from evil growing up. I felt like I had to find my own way in the world in a school setting, where my peers were the most important thing to me, because that is who I was around all the time. I learned a lot in that process. I can remember as a second grade child in the public schools hearing profanity on the playground...my heart would not ever be the same. I remember seeing v*ul*gar hand movements from other small children at school....I was confused. I remember being gossiped about and gossiping myself to make myself look better...I was learning how to survive. I remember being on a school bus and learning about a teenager that was pregnant...before I was old enough to even understand what that even meant...I felt ashamed. I remember clearly receiving attention from boys when I was just an elementary school student...I learned how to flirt. I remember fussing and feuding with other little girls over silly selfish matters... I learned how to manipulate and hurt others for my own selfish gain. I remember wanting to be popular and achieving my goal...I learned how to be a man pleaser. I remember being active in my youth group, but really wanting to be with my snooty school friends.Well, not all were snooty, but some were...I was. I was learning hypocrisy.
Does this happen to all public school students...maybe not, but we have made deliberate choices so that this does not happen to our children. I want to teach them and train them, so that when the appropriate times comes, they will know how to respond Biblically to the issues of life. They will make mistakes...we all do..but as parents we have to do all we can.
This is a quote from J.C. Ryle from the Girl Talk book:
Again, this is where our convictions lie...you don't have to agree with me. I am not looking for the popularity award at this point in my life. I am concerned over my children's lives...their hearts, their eternity. CJ Mahaney has stated in regards to child rearing:
Here are some other interesting posts on homeschooling. I am not endorsing them as my views...I just thought they were interesting. I actually disagree with a few of them, but that is okay...I just thought you might enjoy reading what others have to say.
We feel very strongly that our children should be taught a Biblical worldview. Through christian literature, creation studies, and other various ways that homeschool does allow for. We don't want them to just hear that God created the world in 6 days at church and then leave them with that as their aplogogetics...we want them to have a strong focus on what is Biblical and what is not. We want our children to have discernment in this age, because the world and satan's techniques are tricky and subtle. They must be grounded in Biblical Truths from the beginning of their little lives.
My husband was a science major in college. He had many upper level science courses in high school as well as college. He majored in zoology, planning to further his education in the dental field. He was exposed to all sorts of unbiblical errors throughout his schooling. In public highschool, he was pressured to believe that evolution was truth, although he knew as well as the teachers did, that it was a theory. It was taught as truth. Isn't it terrible that evolution is taught as fact and anything Biblical taught in the schools from a teacher is AGAINST THE LAW??? Something is very wrong here. As a Christian family, we knew that if our children went to a public school, they would hear this kind of indoctrination from well meaning and kind teachers that they respected. Who is to know if they would believe what they were taught or even if it caused them to question their belief in God's Word as the Truth. Some parents may feel that they should allow this in their life and allow the Holy Spirit to work in them...I disagree. I believe parents should be proactive in teaching their children Truth and they should actively protect their heart and minds from error. That doesn't mean we do not teach them what the world says...we do...very often, but it is always in the context of *this is wrong and here is what God's Word says*. They are never taught it as a fact or something believable...we always say this is what the world says, but we know this to be untrue. That context helps them be aware of what is spoken and believed in the world, while we are addressing the Biblical explanation for it.
Our children need to be guided on what is right and wrong from the standpoint of Truth, without allowing other people in authority over them to be pressuring them to adopt faulty philosophies about everything. In the schools, there is a heavy humanistic belief system...subtle errors influencing our children's hearts and minds.
I will address the statement that so many public school supporters say..."I went to the Public schools and I turned out all right". I guess that depends on how you define all right. I know we are all born with a sin nature and those sins manifest themselves in different ways with everybody. But, I did not feel sheltered from evil growing up. I felt like I had to find my own way in the world in a school setting, where my peers were the most important thing to me, because that is who I was around all the time. I learned a lot in that process. I can remember as a second grade child in the public schools hearing profanity on the playground...my heart would not ever be the same. I remember seeing v*ul*gar hand movements from other small children at school....I was confused. I remember being gossiped about and gossiping myself to make myself look better...I was learning how to survive. I remember being on a school bus and learning about a teenager that was pregnant...before I was old enough to even understand what that even meant...I felt ashamed. I remember clearly receiving attention from boys when I was just an elementary school student...I learned how to flirt. I remember fussing and feuding with other little girls over silly selfish matters... I learned how to manipulate and hurt others for my own selfish gain. I remember wanting to be popular and achieving my goal...I learned how to be a man pleaser. I remember being active in my youth group, but really wanting to be with my snooty school friends.Well, not all were snooty, but some were...I was. I was learning hypocrisy.
Does this happen to all public school students...maybe not, but we have made deliberate choices so that this does not happen to our children. I want to teach them and train them, so that when the appropriate times comes, they will know how to respond Biblically to the issues of life. They will make mistakes...we all do..but as parents we have to do all we can.
This is a quote from J.C. Ryle from the Girl Talk book:
Beware of that miserable delusion into which some have fallen- that parents can do nothing for their children, that you must leave them alone, wait for grace, and sit still. These persons...desire much, and have nothing. And the devil rejoices to see such reasoning, just as he always does over anything which seems to excuse indolence, or to encourage neglect of means.
Again, this is where our convictions lie...you don't have to agree with me. I am not looking for the popularity award at this point in my life. I am concerned over my children's lives...their hearts, their eternity. CJ Mahaney has stated in regards to child rearing:
If necessary, I will throw my body in front of you to prevent you from sinning.We agree and we want to do what ever it takes to raise up children who love the Lord. These are our personal convictions.
Here are some other interesting posts on homeschooling. I am not endorsing them as my views...I just thought they were interesting. I actually disagree with a few of them, but that is okay...I just thought you might enjoy reading what others have to say.
An article here.
Tim Challies has some interesting thoughts here.
Life in a shoe started the discussion.
Part 1
Part 2
Kim at Mercy Days has some thoughts on homeschooling as well.
Maryanne has a few points to make here.
Also, you can read my post on Protecting Our Children. It explains my heart on this as well.


I am a stay at home mother to 4. I am very blessed to have a godly husband who loves the Lord and his family. I welcome the days of much needed grace,the times of sweet victories,and the tears of trials,knowing it is all for God's glory. I want my lifesong to sing to Him,the author and finisher of my faith. Soli Deo Gloria--To the Glory of God alone.









19 Comments:
A.M.E.N.
I've enjoyed reading your convictions regarding homeschooling. This has been a good series. Thanks, Kim!
Well said Kim
Thanks for sharing your story with us. It resonates with my heart as well!
Thank you so much for another wonderful post. I share your feelings as well. I enjoy reading your blog very much and have placed your blog link on my own blow. I hope that is okay. I am just beginning my blogging journey, and enjoying it very much so far!
Kim,
I so appreciate your openness and your carefulness to point out that homeschooling is not for everyone but it what you have CHOSEN. To me, that is so important. We each have to prayerfully decide what is right for our own families. We have chosen christian school for our children but I have the exact same spiritual desires and goals that you, a homeschooling mom, do! Thanks for presenting your views without being judgmental and critical. I do appreciate it.
Humbly,
Jen
Another great post. Very well said.
I really appreciated this post. You reflected some of the things that I have heard from Ken Hamm and some of the things my husband and I have discussed. My husband is a public school teacher and we are homeschooling. There are some things that you just can't "undo" that children are exposed to in the world. You have a lovely and interesting blog.
You have really helped me with your HS posts. I still have another year before any big decisions have to be made, but I find myself struggling with this topic daily. I am constantly trying to "figure out" what to do and what is best for our family. Thanks for being so open about it and not worried about what anyone "thinks" is right. Your family is blessed to have you. ; )
HI Kim. Again I'd like to thank you for your thoughtful discussion of this topic.
What I appreciate most is that you don't come at it as to say that anyone who doesn't homeschool is wrong. I really appreciate that.
I am just beginning to ponder on how my children will be best served with education and in the most important thing as you said *loving the Lord*. I appreciate your honesty and willingness to share all of this.
I couldn't help but wonder though - I fear that even if my chidren didn't go to public schools they'd still be exposed to a lot of this stuff at church.
Recently at our church we had a middle school boy walk into the bathroom with a girl.........my fear is that the evil is Everywhere - unfortunately.
That is just one of the things I am still in the process of "processing" =)
THANKS Again though. I've enjoyed your very thought out reasons!
In HIM -
Mindy
Kim, you have a real gift for articulating your thoughts intelligently and graciously. You bring honor to the Lord and to your family through the way you communicate your convictions. I am encouraged to find a person who also strives for balance and Christlikness in speaking the truth. I have thoroughly enjoyed your post on homeschool and they have worked to strengthen me in my pace. Blessings, Terri
Very well said...I have nothing to add except we feel the same way!
I have read through this. Twice. You convey my thoughts so well! I do wish we lived closer :)
Your examples of being exposed to sin and how it shapes your worldview was a wonderful explanation. It is oh-so-subtle and misleading...as sin always is. You said:
"I remember clearly receiving attention from boys when I was just an elementary school student...I learned how to flirt."
Do you how many people claim this is so innocent and no big deal? I vididly remember dealing with this several years ago with the girls and to the point of tears and finding myself almost completely alone in my concern. I was "overreacting". Truthfully...I probably was because I was reacting to the conviction of the Holy Spirit. There is not innocence in that behavior and it feeds a terribly unbiblical thought process for young girls. It starts very very young.
Everyday life *everywhere* (not just school) is certainly full of sin and temptation. We (as Christian parents) must stand guard with the Word as our weapon to fight against the war that is being waged for the hearts and minds of our children. No matter what.
Wonderful series. Blessings :)
Wow. Awesome post.
I attended public schools for most of my life, and could SO relate to what you described. Did I turn out fine? Yes. Thanks to grace. But was I exposed to a lot of things that can't be undone? Absolutely!
It just makes no sense. Why on earth do we send our precious, impressionable little ones to muddle through all the muck all by themselves? Before they are mature in their faith or even know who they are yet?
I had a loving mother at home who helped guide me through some of it, but there was no possible way she could have known every little thing I witnessed or succumbed to. Some of it is subtle, like wanting to fit/blend in, learning how to be popular, obsessing over boys, etc. All things that society says are appropriate, but we know to be traps of the enemy.
I also appreciated your comments about teaching young ones basic Apologetics. I just yesterday started watching Beth Moore's Wednesdays on Life Today and she talked about this and gosh! It struck a nerve with me. We have to arm our children with a defense against the inevitable onslaught against the truth.
I have a few years to decide about homeschooling (our little guy is one), but I'm going to ponder these things in my heart and prayerfully consider what is truly the best way to prepare my son for the world/adulthood.
Thank you for sharing your experience and wisdom on this subject.
I have been praying lately about homeschooling my children. My son is onlt two, but three years will be here before I know it.
This goes along with what I believe. I taught in the public school for 6 years before having my first child. I agree. Some kids are "good" kids and will turn out "fine." But I still don't think a 2nd grader is ready to be exposed to certain things as young as they are. Here parents are trying to raise God fearing, respectful, loving children and then they go to school for 7 hours and it all contradicts home.
So you get a BIG FAT AMEN from me.
Kim, thank you, thank you for this series. I just sat here nodding my head in agreement. :) It's so important to be purposeful in our parenting, to be able to articulate the direction God has laid on our heart...and you've done so beautifully!
Kim--I'm tagging you with the "8 Things About Me" meme! Check out my blog for the details! Enjoy!!
Right On! I appreciate this post.
Thank you so much for this article. We are still praying the Lord will have us homeschool next fall, 2008. I had wanted to this next year, 2007, but because of financial reasons, we couldn't. Being in the public school, there are so many children trying to get attention in the wrong ways, discipline and behavior problems, teachers who have no morals, etc. Please keep praying for our family.
Post a Comment
<< Home