Saturday, August 18, 2007
The 5 am Club....are you a member?
I have been reading the new book by Carolyn Mahaney and her daughters, called *Shopping For Time: How to do it all and NOT be overwhelmed*. I knew when Leslie at Lux Venit wrote her book review on it, I would have to get it. It sounded very encouraging and practical....and it is! Everything I have read from Carolyn has been! Thanks for this book, ladies!

I really enjoyed the chapter on rising early. Not because I enjoy getting up early, but because I need that extra encouragement to keep on keeping on. It is a challenge. My husband thinks I am a *morning person* because I always seem so happy in the mornings...and I do enjoy the morning time. But when that alarm first goes off, it is hard to just do it--get up! My usual routine is to get up at 6am, run, bike, or walk, come home to a quiet time of Bible reading and prayer...and then jump in the shower before the little ones wake. During the summer, I was a little more relaxed about it and took showers some days later in the morning. Now, that we are back on our school schedule and JH has speech 2 morning a week, I must get up early to get the things done that I need to, with Bible reading and prayer being a top priority. I do struggle with this at times. It is easy to put that aside until later...go to the computer, start some laundry, etc. There are lots of things that can busy up my morning so that I neglect the Lord. I must try harder and make it a must do. How about you? Are you disciplined in this area? Do you have a quiet time every morning? Do you wake up early to prepare for your day before the children awake?

Carolyn says in her book, that there is no such thing as a morning person and a night person. She says:
It requires discipline exercised in reliance upon God's grace. And it might help if we dispel the myth of the morning person--because there is no such thing!


She goes on to quote Martha Peace:
I have heard of women who pride themslves on being *night* people. That means they have trouble getting up in the mornings because they come alive at night. They may stay up till all hours reading, watching TV, or pursuing some sort of interest. The next morning they are too tired to get up and care for their family...These women are not night people. They are lazy and selfish. Who would not rather stay up late and do whatever they please and sleep late the next day?
Once a young wife begins getting up earlier than her children and husband, she will cease to be a night person. She will be tired at night and go to bed at a reasonable hour so she will be there to serve her family the next morning.


I realize we are all at different seasons of life and our schedules can be very different...but I am convicted as I read this book. We all need time to worship the Lord through reading His Word, meditating on it, and praying to Him. How can we get through the day without Him? We all need to be fresh and eager to serve our family...whatever time that may be. I want to be this kind of wife and mother...one who sees the joy in each new day...one who gladly welcomes my children waking from a night's sleep...one who loves the Lord and it shows in how I spend my time...one who prepares ahead of time, so that others may be blessed. God must do a great work in my life! But, I know He is faithful.

I am going to be joining the 5 am club...well, maybe the 5:30 am version.


posted at 2:29 PM
Comments (26)



26 Comments:
At 4:22 PM, Blogger Jill said...

Hi Kim- I am a faithful reader of Carolyn/daughters' Girl Talk Blog and have read about their 5am Club often. I have tried to be a part of it, and have not stuck with it. I was just talking to my husband today about trying it again. I work full-time and have to leave the house by 7am to get to work on time. When I did rise at 5am it gave me time for quiet time and a half hour of exercise. I loved how it made me feel mentally and spiritually, but by the end of the week, rising at 5am did me in physically. I do believe in rising early, though, and thank you for the timely reminder! (And I also need to get that book!)

 
At 5:12 PM, Blogger SingerMamaMelody said...

Hi Kim,

I am not quite sure how I happened upon your blog, but I was so excited to read about your adoption story! Adoption is something that has been on my heart for a long time, and my husband would also like to adopt. We have a 15 month old daughter and do hope to have more kids of our own, but we would also like to adopt one day should God work it all out. I was so encouraged by your passion for your sweet Lydia. May God bless you and your family as you continue on your journey!

 
At 5:17 PM, Blogger Tracy said...

It is my favorite time of the day. For about 5 or 6 years now I have been getting up at 5:30-5:45. For years I just thought "I will fit my quiet-time in sometime during the day...yeah, right, doesn't happen. I hardly miss a day of getting up early now, although once in a while I do over sleep, then I feel mad at myself for missing my time! I get up, make coffee and have a good hour or more to read my bible, or a book, or do my bible study. You are right, it isn't always easy, but I just think about how I will feel if I miss it and my feet hit the floor. Most of the time I can wake up even without the alarm. I do stay up late too...I am sure someday that will catch up with me, but it works for now. I would like to get the book though, I haven't read anything by her yet.

 
At 9:33 PM, Blogger Family W said...

I absolutely loved this book. I bought it last week in our 'book nook' at church. You can definitely tell when its 'a word in due season' when you just soak it up like a sponge. That's exactly what I did with this book!

 
At 10:06 PM, Blogger Wendy said...

I loved this book too! I've liked all of Carolyn's books.

I'm working on the 6:00 club here. Still trying to be consistent. Seems like once I set a time, my kids start waking up earlier and earlier. So, I probably do need to switch it to 5-5:30.

 
At 11:02 PM, Blogger Amber Smith said...

Thanks for the encouragement. I remember reading the Martha Peace quote a few years ago in another book. It really stuck with me (the idea that there is no such thing as a "night person". In fact, I was just talking about the morning person/night person subject with Josh last week. Thank you for the encouragement to put the most important things first.

 
At 1:40 AM, Blogger Kendra Fletcher said...

Nope. Because some of us are up late doing laundry, prepping for tomorrow's school, nursing the baby, and enjoying our husbands.

Sorry I sound a little snarky. But what if I claimed that those who don't work during the after-dinner hours are lazy? What if I said that those who don't end their days meditating on God's world are somehow missing the spiritual boat?

OK, off my soapbox :) I actually blogged on this awhile ago:

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/PreschoolersandPeace/325970/

Not trying to change your mind. If 5 a.m. works for you, then by all means, you go, girl!

 
At 2:25 AM, Blogger Kendra Fletcher said...

Ooops- typing too fast! That should have read "God's Word".

 
At 7:11 AM, Blogger Kim said...

kenj,

There are nighttime things that need to be done with a cheerful spirit also...but the point of the Martha Peace quote was not to condemn staying up late, but to warn against staying up late following after selfish desires(movie watching,etc) to neglect your time with the Lord and the blessed job of caring for your family the next morning.

If you stay up late to do what you mentioned that is great! I do that,too at times!

I just don't need to neglect my time with the Lord because I am not willing to get up early.

Hope that clarifies!

 
At 8:38 AM, Blogger PandaMom said...

I think this was in Girl Talk as well because I remember reading it from them. I claim to be a "morning person", but when the clock flips over to 6:00am I think, "Oh, I'll just lay here a bit longer and do my quiet time while PG is doing something else." HA! an hour later I am still laying in bed (not sleeping) and PG is doing what four year olds do and there goes the "quiet time". You know what I mean. I also identify with finding more "things" that need to be done as I pass by them just pushing my quiet time further into the morning. I adore my time with the Lord when I am the only one awake in the house so I guess 5:00am...I mean 5:30am here I come! ; )

 
At 8:42 AM, Blogger Erin said...

I have always been considered a "morning person." I really like early mornings. I love to get up before the sun. I know it sounds crazy, but it is soooo peaceful!! If I can just get my head up off the pillow, then I am fine. But, getting up is often difficult.

I am just now getting my feet on the ground after having Elijah. Just last week I started getting up at 5:30 again. I skipped a day or two, though. Thanks for the encouragement to stay the course!!!

 
At 6:22 PM, Blogger Kendra Fletcher said...

When I read my comment to my husband, he said I sounded snarky. Well, there you go!

But my point was not to just be contrary; rather, I struggle with writers and others who put across techniques and tools that work for them as the best way, and sometimes, the only way. Or God's way.

I realize the Martha Peace quote was out of the context of her book, and I really do like her books. And I do get her point. Still, I think we need to be very careful to not put forward what works for us personally as the way that should work for everyone else, too. Homeschoolers in particular can step dangerously over the line in this area with educational philosophies, curriculum choices, etc.

OK. I'm going away now :) You girls get up at 5 and do it well! I'll see you around 8...

 
At 8:04 PM, Blogger Kim said...

Hi there kenj!

I appreciate your thoughts on this and I hope you know that I think this is an area of Christian liberty and it by no means makes anyone more godly than anybody else...I can see how that point might be taken and I apologize for that!!!

You are right that we can make one way seem like the only way...or God's way. There are clear commands in scripture and getting up at 5am is not one of them, but....rising early is mentioned a bit and we know that Proverbs 31 does mention rising while it was still night to take care of her household...also, Jesus rose early to go pray while it was still dark.(Mark 1:35)

Here is a quote from John Piper:

"I earnestly recommend that it be in the early morning, unless there are some extenuating circumstances. Entering the day without a serious meeting with God, over His Word and in prayer, is like entering the battle without tending to your weapons. The human heart does not replenish itself with sleep. The body does, but not that heart...we replenish our hearts not with sleep, but with the Word of God and prayer."

I do not take this as a *have to*, but just good logic and wisdom...it is good advice. It is not a rule to follow to make your self find favor with God or to make yourself appear more godly than others. I don't think Martha Peace, Carolyn Mahaney, or John Piper mean it that way...it is just good Godly advice. That's all.

But, there is no Biblical command that it has to be morning. One person is not more godly because she wakes up earlier...she may be more disciplined...but has more favor with God...no! God's favor on us is because of Christ work on the cross...not because we get up early. I just did not want anyone to think I was saying this. I appreciate you calling attention to this...I'm very happy you did. I'm glad we could discuss this and clarify.

I took what Carolyn and Martha said as a challenge. If I fail or can not do it when my children are infants, I don't make myself out to be a failure...I just realize that for this season, maybe 5am or whatever time is not right for me. That is okay!

Thanks for your comments and I hope this conversation has been edifying and helpful to others. I never want to make anyone feel bad or guilty...I just see things like this as a challenge for all of us.

 
At 10:26 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

I've always used the excuse that I'm not a "morning person". So, OUCH! I do stay up late...sometimes doing things that need to be done, but mostly having some "me" time because I work outside the home & then come home to my second job.

I need to look into this book though! I see Jill said she reads the author's blog. I need to find that!

Thanks for the encouragement in this tough area!

 
At 2:08 PM, Blogger Cyndi said...

Oh, absolutely! I've been in the 5 AM club for years! One year, years ago, as I was reading the Bible through in a year, I highlighted all of the times it said, "And he rose early..." Although certainly not a biblical mandate, it does seem to be a habit many whom scripture records as being used greatly by God. I have noticed I have been most effective when I have followed this pattern as well, not because of getting up early in and of itself, but of the overall physical and scriptural discipline it brings to my days.

Great post!

 
At 5:37 PM, Blogger Terri | Sugar Free Glow said...

Great post and I enjoyed reading the comments too!

During the school year I wake up at 5:15 am so I have time to read my bible ALONE, without distraction. I personally need to start my day with that alone time. When I sleep late I find myself busy helping others or getting housework done and my focus is not on the Lord. It's become a habit and I now look forward to waking up early.

 
At 8:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoyed your post, and reading the comments! I am with Wendy...still working on the 6am club!! My kids usually wake up at 7:30, so if I am up by 6 I can have my quiet time with the Lord and a shower before they wake up. But here lately (since I have been pregnant with this 3rd one) I have been majorly slacking in this area. If I sleep in too late I just plan to have my quiet time during nap-time. Most days that works out, but some days I totally forget, getting lost in the business of the day. And I know that it is so important that I start the day with the Lord. I have so much more joy when I wake up early and spend time with Him before the kids get up, otherwise i tend to be grouchy mom for the first 30-60 minutes of the morning. I plan on being much more disciplined about getting up early when I start school with the kids next Monday! I pray the Lord will hlep keep my hand away from the snooze button!!

 
At 10:23 PM, Blogger Mindy said...

Hi Kim.
I am a member of the 5 am club........however - sometimes I miss the mark and don't get up when the alarm goes off........I am trying to get better at it.
I do good sometimes and not too good at others.........the problem really is that bedtime needs to be earlier!
in HIM -
Mindy

 
At 6:55 AM, Blogger Kim said...

I do better during the school year and I am most consistent when I am running, sooooo.....with it being summertime and taking a hiatus from running I have been sleeping like a sloth!

I have *always* felt better about every single task before me when I rise early, spend time in prayer, and get a jump start on the rest of the clan. I love being up when it is still dark and actually accomplishing something before the sun comes up.

It is so true that my evening hours are often filled with "fluff" and I should be resting and preparing for the next day.

I am getting this book! Thanks so much for this post :)

Blessings-

 
At 10:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not quite in the 5am club, but I'm in the 630 club. Get up, exercise while listening to a downloaded sermon, have private time with the Lord and His Word, then start the day with the family. This is the only way I've ever been consistent in these disciplines. Putting them off to do later means never getting to them at all. Thanks for this great encouragement! :)

 
At 4:43 PM, Blogger Praise and Coffee said...

Kim,
I love this post! I always enjoy reading your blog. :) I have missed it.

This encouraged and challenged me.
I would consider myself a "morning person" and I have felt quite condemned in the past by women who talk of staying up late- I just can't do it. My husband says I turn orange around 10 o'clock (like a pumpkin).

But I have to admit, this summer busy-ness has chipped away at some of my time in the Word. I have felt challenged in this and especially after reading this post.

I need to make a conscience decision to wake up early and get to my priorities.

It is a wonderful way to start the day.

Thanks,
Sue

 
At 11:20 PM, Blogger Chris @ Come to the Table said...

This book is a wonderful tool. At different seasons I have met with the Lord at different times, but personally I have found that early morning works the best for me. So, to answer your question, yes I am a member.

 
At 7:31 PM, Blogger Donna said...

Hi Kim,
I've decided this year to make a commitment to getting up earlier to get my quiet time in. Not sure about 5am...I'm starting at 7am (early for me) and will work my way back as far as I can. Our goal is to begin school no later than 9am this year. Glad to hear your first day went well!
Donna
www.handsful.com

 
At 8:51 PM, Blogger Julie@HighFive! said...

I'm going to try. This really spoke to me, I can see that I stay up too late and it wouldn't really be that difficult to get up earlier and get a head start on the day. This was definitely something I needed to read and think about. Thanks. I think I'll need to find the book too at some point!

 
At 7:07 AM, Blogger Lisa Spence said...

What a HUGE difference beginning the day in His Word makes!

Thanks for the encouragement...

 
At 8:13 AM, Blogger LOVE, MERCY AND GRACE...GOD'S GRACE said...

Hi! I found your blog through another....'sorry, right now I can't remember which one because I've been jumping from one to another!!
I have become totally slack in getting up early for my quiet time....I use to do that every morning around 5:30. I do not have any family at home (other than hubby who is now retired), so the intent was not so much to get ahead of what would take place at home, but to give me that special time with God when all I had to think about was Him. I always found that when I took the time to put God first in my mornings ...studying and mediating on His Word, praying....my day would be awesome!! Not that everything flowed smoothly, but that I could handle it because I was spiritually prepared to tackle anything that came my way. I miss that time and am a firm believer it does take "discipline"...I love sleeping in when I can and actually stay up much later than I should, so for me, it is a discipline thing. I know the rewards that come from doing this....so, I'm committing to doing this very thing...starting Monday! :-) Thanks for sharing this!

(I would like to add your blog to my blog so others can enjoy it too!)

Beth

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me

I am a stay at home mother to 4. I am very blessed to have a godly husband who loves the Lord and his family. I welcome the days of much needed grace,the times of sweet victories,and the tears of trials,knowing it is all for God's glory. I want my lifesong to sing to Him,the author and finisher of my faith. Soli Deo Gloria--To the Glory of God alone.

My Complete Profile
Email Me Here



Adoption Information
Adoption video: Please watch "Bring Me Hope" Video found on this link:
Bring Me Hope Video

You Can Also Find Us Here:
Bringing Home Lydia
Sugar Pie Honey Bunch
Go The Distance

Miles in 2009
Run-550.5
Walk-105.5 miles

Miles in 2008
Run-643.5 miles
Walk-106 miles
Bike-28 miles
Daily Bible Verse

Recommended Reading
  • Pray For The Chapmans
  • In Memory Of Maria
  • Mary Beth Chapman
  • Amy Wilhoite's Love for a Faithful God and Her Amazing Testimony of God's Goodness. You must read!
  • Amy's Humble Musings
  • A Spacious Place
  • Al Mohler
  • Beauty From The Heart
  • Between Two Worlds
  • Bring The Rain
  • Challies
  • Deo Volente
  • Desiring God Blog
  • Fat Free Vegan Kitchen
  • Forthright Fixation
  • Girl Talk
  • Grace Notes
  • Happy Herbivore
  • I Am Chief
  • Irish Calvinist
  • Jillian,Inc
  • Josh Harris
  • Hope Road
  • Light Came
  • Lisa Writes
  • Mercy Days
  • Musings of the Dings
  • Of First Importance
  • Passionate Homemaking
  • Practicing Theology
  • Preschoolers and Peace
  • Pulpit Magazine
  • Purple Cellar
  • Radical Womanhood
  • Rebecca Writes
  • The Rebelution
  • Reflections
  • Renewing Our Minds
  • Seasonings of the Heart
  • Showered With Grace
  • Titus 2 Talk
  • Together For The Gospel
  • The Upward Call
  • Worship Matters
  • Friends

    Homeschooling Resources

    Good Stuff

    Previous Posts

    Search


    AddThis Feed Button

    Books I Am Reading Now


    Archives

    Credits
    Blog Design by:


    Powered by:


    Meter:

    Miscellaneous