Thursday, December 06, 2007
A Christ Centered Christmas
Mike and I try to do things intentionally to make our Christmas season a Christ centered Christmas. We realized many years ago, that with all the distractions during this time of the year, we must put forth lots of effort in this area...because it was not going to just happen. It is very easy to get caught up in the materialism and commercialism of this time. Well, I guess I should say it is easy for me...I like things that are sparkly and pretty...I love dressing up and going places...I enjoy Christmas decorations. I love seeing how others decorate their homes for Christmas. I enjoy cooking holiday meals. All of these things are not bad in and of themselves, but they can be when we delight in these things instead of Christ. It can be sinful when these things pull our hearts away from Christ and toward sinful thoughts. For example, I can remember a time that we went to a tour of homes and instead of just enjoying the beautiful home and getting ideas, I became very discontent with my own home and the decorations...thinking mine was not done as well or as pretty...etc. Jealousy and covetousness filled my heart. I have been really convicted of this through the years and have asked the Lord to make my heart focused on Him during this season and share with my children the love of God through His son, Jesus Christ. I can tell you from my own personal experience, that focusing on Him has helped me take the focus off of myself, which is what a lot of us do at Christmas. I have also found that when we truly love God and the things of God, we find true joy because we are delighting in Him. I desperately want this joy in my heart...I need the Lord's joy!!!

I thought I would share some things we have really enjoyed through the years as ways to keep Christ in Christmas. It does take time to make the Christmas season special and all about the Lord, but we must put forth the effort.

Family Worship: During the Christmas Season is a new book for us. We began on December 1st and we highly recommend it to you. Maybe you could begin a time of family worship now and carry it on after Christmas. Or maybe you are already in the practice of doing family worship...this would be a great resource for you to add this time of the year. My husband really likes it and say it makes his job easy! I like this book because it has a devotional, scripture reading, and activities to do for each day of December. We do not do it every evening, but we are going through it in order and will just finish it when we do. It has been very helpful for our family and is good for all ages. I've learned a lot so far!!!

The Adornaments by Family Life has been wonderful through the years! We look forward to beginning this every year! It has an ornament for different names of Christ...like He is the bread of life...or he is the Light of the world...there is a CD with scripture songs to learn the verses and a book to read a short explanation for each ornament. We love this!!!!

We, also, like What God wants for Christmas from Family Life. This is a nativity set that the children get to interact with as they learn about each character in the Christmas story. It has a strong explanation of the gospel in the surprise ending. The younger children love it.

The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey is one of my favorite picture books for Christmas. It is about a very bitter gloomy woodcarver who keeps to himself. He has a lace handkerchief, a baby's blanket, and a picture of his wife and baby in a drawer he never opens. It brings his heart too much sadness. The story is about a widow and his son who want the woodcarver to carve a nativity set for them. Through this time of making this for them a miracle happens in his heart. It is a beautiful story that points to Christ as the healer of the soul.

Another good picture book is The First Christmas according to Luke. It is simply the scriptures put to beautiful pictures for children to see what happened on that night long ago. Mike reads Luke 2 on Christmas Eve and this book is a good tool to use as he reads to the younger ones. The pictures are lovely and the simpleness of it is what I appreciate.

Martha Peace recommended this book, The Gift, at the conference last weekend, so I bought it. I must add it to my list of resources that help us have a Christ centered Christmas. It is just a wonderful story! It is on about 6th-7th grade reading level, but can be read a loud to younger children. The pictures are outstanding,too! You can go here to read about the story. I love the emphasis on Christ in this new, but already loved book.

I hope you will find this helpful and remember...A Christmas without Christ is not really Christmas.

posted at 7:42 PM
Comments (12)



12 Comments:
At 5:32 PM, Blogger Real World Martha said...

We use a few of these and am looking forward to finding the others to join our library. It is nice to have Christ centered resources.
Blessings
Debbie aka The Real World Martha(S)
http;//realworldmartha.wordpress.com

 
At 7:03 PM, Blogger Paula said...

I love that you are so generous and share your thoughts about Christmas. With two babies now, I will definately start some of these traditions.
Thank you!!

 
At 10:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

These are great ideas. We also like the Desiring God advent calendar. I'll have to look into the family worship book through December book you mentioned. It sounds really good.

 
At 11:23 PM, Blogger Angela said...

Amen!


angela :-)


http://toliveischrist.wordpress.com

 
At 3:08 AM, Blogger Me said...

I love all this Kim! Dallas and I will not be going home for Christmas, and we will be starting our own family traditions this year. We really desire to have a Christ-centered Christmas. I love all these ideas. Even though we don't have kids yet, these are very good recommendations. I love all the things I learn from your blog!

God Bless!

 
At 9:33 AM, Blogger Kim said...

I remembered you mentioning the "What God Wants For Christmas" last year and I was able to find it after Christmas for 1/2 off. It's always fun to pull surprises out of storage like this!

We also have The First Christmas book that you have. I have had this one since the girls were small and it is still a favorite for everybody. The illustrations are especially beautiful and we use it on Christmas Eve as well.

Thanks for the recommendation for the Family Worship book. It sounds wonderful!

Blessings!

 
At 1:23 PM, Blogger Spirit of Adoption said...

Wow - these are GREAT ideas! Thanks, Kim!!!!! We've used Noel Pipers advent calendar for the last couple of years. This year we're using a new one that take us through the OT up to Jesus' birth - LOVE it!!! And we're going to bake Christmas cookies for the neighbors again and invite them to our christmas service. ; )

We we finally got the Nativity Story to watch! Wasn't it you that liked that movie so well? We started watching it with the kids! Samuel is totally into it, asking lots of questions - it's precious!!!!!

 
At 3:24 PM, Blogger Sheri said...

Thanks for these wonderful recommendations. One of my friends the other day said she feels like Scrooge at Christmas time because of all the busyness and so many things to do. It is very easy to get caught up in all of this. Your suggestion to ask the Lord to help you focus your heart on Him is so what we need to do. I'm going to be asking this every day!

 
At 5:53 PM, Blogger LmCulp said...

I, too love the Christmas Miracle of Johnathon Toomey. I still can't get through it with dry eyes!

 
At 11:12 AM, Blogger Tammy said...

This post was so edifiying to me...thank you!
Last year was the first time we did a family worship-Advent candle time with devotions and we're doing it again this year. Our church provided the advent candle holders last year that the kids got to decorate and the devotion guides, a new one each year. It's been wonderful!

I'm going to check out these links!
Blessings!

 
At 11:32 PM, Blogger Family W said...

My husband and I were just talking about this very thing tonight. We need to remember that its Christ's birthday and not our own. As commercialized as Christmas is now, its so easy to get sidetracked.

 
At 1:02 PM, Blogger Lisa Spence said...

I too have fallen prey to the sins of covetousness and jealousy and discontent...it helps to know that we are not alone in our struggle nor in our determination to deliberately seek to honor Christ, even in Christmas!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me

I am a stay at home mother to 4. I am very blessed to have a godly husband who loves the Lord and his family. I welcome the days of much needed grace,the times of sweet victories,and the tears of trials,knowing it is all for God's glory. I want my lifesong to sing to Him,the author and finisher of my faith. Soli Deo Gloria--To the Glory of God alone.

My Complete Profile
Email Me Here



Adoption Information
Adoption video: Please watch "Bring Me Hope" Video found on this link:
Bring Me Hope Video

You Can Also Find Us Here:
Bringing Home Lydia
Sugar Pie Honey Bunch
Go The Distance

Miles in 2009
Run-550.5
Walk-105.5 miles

Miles in 2008
Run-643.5 miles
Walk-106 miles
Bike-28 miles
Daily Bible Verse

Recommended Reading
  • Pray For The Chapmans
  • In Memory Of Maria
  • Mary Beth Chapman
  • Amy Wilhoite's Love for a Faithful God and Her Amazing Testimony of God's Goodness. You must read!
  • Amy's Humble Musings
  • A Spacious Place
  • Al Mohler
  • Beauty From The Heart
  • Between Two Worlds
  • Bring The Rain
  • Challies
  • Deo Volente
  • Desiring God Blog
  • Fat Free Vegan Kitchen
  • Forthright Fixation
  • Girl Talk
  • Grace Notes
  • Happy Herbivore
  • I Am Chief
  • Irish Calvinist
  • Jillian,Inc
  • Josh Harris
  • Hope Road
  • Light Came
  • Lisa Writes
  • Mercy Days
  • Musings of the Dings
  • Of First Importance
  • Passionate Homemaking
  • Practicing Theology
  • Preschoolers and Peace
  • Pulpit Magazine
  • Purple Cellar
  • Radical Womanhood
  • Rebecca Writes
  • The Rebelution
  • Reflections
  • Renewing Our Minds
  • Seasonings of the Heart
  • Showered With Grace
  • Titus 2 Talk
  • Together For The Gospel
  • The Upward Call
  • Worship Matters
  • Friends

    Homeschooling Resources

    Good Stuff

    Previous Posts

    Search


    AddThis Feed Button

    Books I Am Reading Now


    Archives

    Credits
    Blog Design by:


    Powered by:


    Meter:

    Miscellaneous