Monday, February 25, 2008
A Special Event with Dad and Monday Menu
We recently had our annual father daughter banquet at our church. As some of you know, from reading last years post, this event is one we all look forward to so much! Our daughters love dressing up and having a special event to go to. Mike and I love the emphasis on having strong, healthy relationships between fathers and their daughters. This year was no exception. It was a wonderful evening for them. I just wanted to share some of our pictures with you from our home before they left. I am just so thankful for a church that does see the importance of cultivating this relationship and for making it such a special night. This was Abigail's first year to go, so Mike escorted 2 daughters this time!
Although, it is most definitely not about the dress, we do emphasize that the dresses our daughters wear be as modest as possible, which can be tricky to find. We have a lovely shop here in our town where we have found formal dresses and even special ordered from a more modest catalog that they have. The sweet lady told us that no one ever ordered from that particular catalog because most girls want strapless. Yes, we know, because that is about all you can find in stores. But, you can add straps like we did to Abigail's (which was Gracie's last year)...also, the cute shrugs and cardigans look nice over a spaghetti strap or strapless as long as they go up high enough...so there are ways to make it modest and still stylish.
Here is the modesty checklist from the book, Girl Talk, that we use as a guide. I hope you find it as helpful as we have!






Although, it is most definitely not about the dress, we do emphasize that the dresses our daughters wear be as modest as possible, which can be tricky to find. We have a lovely shop here in our town where we have found formal dresses and even special ordered from a more modest catalog that they have. The sweet lady told us that no one ever ordered from that particular catalog because most girls want strapless. Yes, we know, because that is about all you can find in stores. But, you can add straps like we did to Abigail's (which was Gracie's last year)...also, the cute shrugs and cardigans look nice over a spaghetti strap or strapless as long as they go up high enough...so there are ways to make it modest and still stylish.
Here is the modesty checklist from the book, Girl Talk, that we use as a guide. I hope you find it as helpful as we have!
Before you leave the house, do a modesty check. (What are some things you’ll look for as you stand in front of your mirror?)
When I am wearing a loose-fitting blouse or scoop-neck, can I see anything when I lean over? If so, I need to remember to place my hand against my neckline when I bend down.
If I am wearing a button-down top, I need to turn sideways and move around to see if there are any gaping holes that expose my chest. If there are, I've got to grab the sewing box and pin between the buttons.
The same check is needed if I am wearing a sleeveless shirt. When I move aound, can I see my bra? If I do, I need the pins again.
Am I wearing a spaghetti-strap, halter, or sheer blouse? Not even pins will fix this problem! Most guys find these a hindrance in their struggle with lust. It's time to go back to the closet.
Can I see the lace or seam of my bra through my shirt? In this case, seamless bras are a better option.
More key questions: Does my shirt reveal any part of my cleavage? Does my midriff show when I raise my hands above my head? Is my shirt just plain too tight? If the answer to anyone of these questions is yes, then I need to change my outfit.
Moving on down...
Does my midriff (or underwear) show when I bend over or lift my hands? If so, is it because my skirt or my pants are too low? Either my shirt needs to be longer or I need to find a skirt or pants that sit higher.
I also have to turn around to see if what I'm wearing is too tight around my back side, or if the outline of my underwear shows. If so, I know what I have to do!
And as for shorts - I can't just check them standing up. I need to see how much they reveal when I sit down. If I see too much leg, I need a longer pair.
The "sit-down" check applies to my skirt or dress as well. And I must remember to keep my skirt pulled down and my knees together when I'm seated.
And speaking of skirts, watch out for those slits! Does it reveal too much when I walk? Pins are also helpful here.
Before I leave, I need to give my skirt a sunlight check. Is it see- through? If so, I need a slip.
Finally, I must remember to do this modesty check with my shoes on. High-heels make my dress or skirt appear shorter. And don't forget, this applies to formal wear as well.
A note on swimwear: It's not easy but you can still strive to be modest at the pool or beach. Look for one-piece bathing suits that aren't cut high on the leg and don't have low necklines.






Monday--Pesto cheesy chicken rolls, whole wheat pasta in a light butter sauce, steamed brocolli, organic roasted garlic bread
Tuesday--Potato crusted cod, brown rice, fresh garden salad
Wednesday-- Serving at a missions Chili fundraiser dinner
Thursday-- Quick meal/meeting probably Jason's Deli or Subway
Friday--Easy creamy pork tenderloin(if home- if not next week),roasted new potatoes, spinach salad with warm maple dressing
Saturday--Making 2 salads for a family dinner at my parent's house. This and this.


I am a stay at home mother to 4. I am very blessed to have a godly husband who loves the Lord and his family. I welcome the days of much needed grace,the times of sweet victories,and the tears of trials,knowing it is all for God's glory. I want my lifesong to sing to Him,the author and finisher of my faith. Soli Deo Gloria--To the Glory of God alone.









24 Comments:
Wow. . . your girls look so beautiful. I've been reading your blog and have been encouraged by your posts. It's great to know that your family values modesty. Thank you!
Just catching up after time away. Your girls look absolutely gorgeous! What a special night with their dad. Their dresses are just beautiful. I commend you on your efforts to maintain modesty. If you hadn't written about it, I wouldn't have thought twice about the dresses being any "different."
Thanks again for including links to your recipes. I've been looking for an easy pork tenderloin recipe, and I'm going to try the one you've shown here.
Such beautiful pictures! I know they had a fabulous time and made some wonderful memories. :)
Kim,
Your daughters are so beautiful! I love the posts you have been writing lately about how you are teaching your daughters to be godly girls & women in regards to modesty and dating. I plan to tuck away your posts for the future ~ so when I am going through this time of life with my daughter I will be able to look back on your great wisdom for help! I so desire to raise my daughter in this way. Thank you for taking the time to write about all of these very important issues for parents, and for seeking to glorify God in all you do!
Katie
Beautiful dresses. I know those will be special memories!
Your girls look absolutely beautiful! I love this idea of the father daughter formal banquets and have been thinking of suggesting it but I have a question. What do you do for the girls who cannot afford a dress? Any suggestions that can be incorporated into a fairly small church?
Great pictures and beautiful girls! I love to see the girls all dressed up. What a wonderful opportunity for them to feel beautiful and special with dad.
Our father daughter ball is this next weekend. All the girls are so excited, yes, Ron is taking the three older ones. Emma did opt for a strapless dress with a lovely little jacket over the top.
What a special evening. Your girls look pretty, stylish and so excited to go out with their Dad.
Our homeschool group had a father/daughter banquet for Valentine's Day - what a blessing!
What thrills me more than words is how bermuda shorts are in style and everywhere! And now in cute prints plaids, and fun colors!
Kim~
You girls look simply stunning.....and very modest!!! You and Mike are doing an amazing job of raising girls that are aware...of how important it is to honor our bodies for they are God's temple.
So tell me, did you fix their hair???
Beautiful girls and very nice choice of dresses--classic and timeless!
Beautiful and special! Your girls are so pretty, Kim, and you are training them up in such godliness that the inner beauty shines right through! It's amazing! Beautiful dresses!
You have such a beatiful family!
What a wonderful time!
great girls, great mom and dad too. I am a little partial to your younger 2 though. i can't wait to go to the f/d banquet with my girls.
rdb
Your girls are beautiufl I love their dresses. I have two daughters and one of them is 10 and she is learning that she is cute and boy's like her so we are talking about being modest we are also talking about not having a flirty personality or acting unnappropriate she lovves the Lord and she want's to do what she know's she should but she still struggles with fitting inat school. Thanks for the check list. Also I would love to hear more about the dance and what they do and what activities take place what ages can go.? char
Beautiful!
Mommy to 4 Js...Hi and thanks for the question. It is not a dance, but more of a sit down banquet with a nice dinner. The senior girls give a tribute to their fathers and there is usually special music...I think there was a skit of some kind this year as well as games.
Susanne, the expense of the dress can be a problem. I know those who put this all together do not want it to be about the dress and who has the nicest dress and all...so it can be church dressy up to semi formal or formal. I know a lot of the girls pass down dresses to other girls. I think a share and swap would be nice before these kinds of events. Also, some of the girls wore black pants and a nice top...so really anything can be nice and appropriate. Some of the girls find their dresses at a half of half place that sell dresses that may have a little flaw that can be easily repaired. There are many options...if you are concerned about the clothing, maybe just start it with church dresses...that way no one feels bad about what they are wearing. You wouldn't have to make it a formal event.
Oh, Kim - the girls are so beautiful! What color was G's dress?
Also as a note to Susanne, if she reads the comments after she posts - I know in the past the youth group has had a swap (or sale, not sure which) for dresses - girls, including graduates, have brought their dresses from previous years and let the younger girls look at them. I can't remember if it was a dress sale or if it was something like "share and swap". But either would work for a small congregation, I'd think.
I hope they had a wonderful time. I'm sure they were having more fun Friday night than I was (though getting to know my baby boy was a sweet time, too!)
Gorgeous girls, Kim! I always love reading about this event for your family. It's such a great idea. The girls around here are shopping for prom and seem shocked that modesty applies to that event as well .... why they are shocked, I don't know.
I must try that pork tenderloin. I am in a cooking rut and need something new!
Your girls looked beautiful! I love the information you shared here. It is important to teach young ladies that they can look beautiful & elegant while being modest. I have had many discussions on this topic with students I work with. I will certainly pass some of this along.
Gorgeous pics! ; )
Kim, I hadn't been here in awhile, but I actually do remember your posting about the father\daughter event last year! (Has it been a year already?)
Those b&w photos are stunning...and your daughters are so very beautiful!
(And your husband- and you from the picture in your sidebar- look so young could pass for siblings to them!) :)
I so agree with you on modesty. I remember as a teen when I went to church learning about modesty and the reasons for it...and to this day, I am always careful to be modest. I see women in their 30's and 40's with low-cut outfits, even in professional work or as commentators on TV and I always am embarrassed for them! But they are just as guilty as some of the teens! More so, because of the bad example.
Thanks for quoting this list from "Girl Talk". As a mom to two girls, the oldest age 8, I know it won't be very long before we have these kinds of talks.
Blessings,
~Tammy
Isn't it amazing how quickly our little girls have grown into young ladies! I see pictures of my girls when they were toddlers and while it seemed like yesterday, it also seems like a lifetime ago.
What an incredible blessing they have in their godly father. The girls look lovely and I know mine would be thrilled to dress up and attend something like this with their dad.
Your menu for the week looks yummy as usual! I am trying to get this into my schedule. It would help me be more disciplined in this area.
The girls look so beautiful. My mom would call it classic, timless beauty, inside and out! It is such a blessing to see how you and Mike are raising your children. We are so blessed to learn from you.
God Bless!
Leigh
Post a Comment
<< Home